Pork loin advice

NCT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have about a 3lb pork loin that my other half laid out and was looking for some suggestions. The rest of the loin was sliced thin for poke chops to be used as breakfast tenderloin for biscuits and tomato gravy. I was looking for some advice on what to do with the little guy. I'm thinking peach wood with a little yardbird until 140?

thanks guys

Ron has sage advice...

It is fantastic (after smoked and chilled) - sliced deli thin piled high in a Super BLT sandwich... porkloin + Bacon + lettuce + tomato :thumb:

I have about a 3lb pork loin that my other half laid out and was looking for some suggestions. The rest of the loin was sliced thin for poke chops to be used as breakfast tenderloin for biscuits and tomato gravy. I was looking for some advice on what to do with the little guy. I'm thinking peach wood with a little yardbird until 140?

thanks guys

Take it on up to 160* i.t. then foil with some apple juice (peach would be wonderful if you can find it) then put it back on till a i.t. temp of 190*. Remove from smoker and throw in a small cooler for a couple of hours. You will be amazed at how tender and juicy it is when you get ready to eat it. :wink:

I try to keep the smoker around 240 - 250 for the cook

Last edited:
Yeah, whatEVER you do, don't overcook it.

Because pork loin is so lean, it does not need low & slow or cooked to 190 like tough, fatty cuts like pork butt. Cook it only until it hits 135-140 and rest it. It'll still be juicy and awesome then.

I like to stuff mine or inject sometimes.

I LOVE doing THIS!

I generally inject pork loins. A mixture of apple cider and apple cider vinegar is good.
I cook it at about 300F, until 140F IT. A glaze of apple sauce and honey is good.
Pull it off, tent it and let it rest for 1/2 hour.
Enjoy!

Wampus is right. No need whatsoever to take pork loin any higher than 140. It's so lean, all it does is dry out when overcooked. But when done right, it makes some of the best sammiches in the history of mankind.

If you have a cooker that will get to 500, do a high heat roast to 140, rest and slice. Best way to do a loin roast that I have found.

Yeah, whatEVER you do, don't overcook it.

Because pork loin is so lean, it does not need low & slow or cooked to 190 like tough, fatty cuts like pork butt. Cook it only until it hits 135-140 and rest it. It'll still be juicy and awesome then.

I LOVE doing THIS!

Wampus is right. No need whatsoever to take pork loin any higher than 140. It's so lean, all it does is dry out when overcooked. But when done right, it makes some of the best sammiches in the history of mankind.

Normally I would agree with you guy's but, unless you have tried it like I posted it above you cant really knock it.

Seriously you can cut it with a fork the way I have told him to cook it above.

I really love doing them with a little mustard powder, and a combo of Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust and Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction as the rub. Then cook as Ronelle suggested.

Normally I would agree with you guy's but, unless you have tried it like I posted it above you cant really knock it.

I'm not knocking it bro, or saying you're wrong.

It's just been my experience that when I've cooked them to any higher than 165 they come out dryer, tougher and not as good as when I left them pink inside (140ish), that's all.

OK. I, for one, am always game for the occasional experiment. I may actually try your method next time I get a whole loin on sale. I just saved the thread to my file so I won't lose it.
Hey Wamp! I'll let you know how it goes.:thumb:

I'm not knocking it bro, or saying you're wrong.

It's just been my experience that when I've cooked them to any higher than 165 they come out dryer, tougher and not as good as when I left them pink inside (140ish), that's all.

I agree, till I started foiling and resting a couple of hours they were tough as nails unless I pulled them around 140*.

I actually got the recipe from on here to try. Changed my whole outlook on the temp thing.

OK. I, for one, am always game for the occasional experiment. I may actually try your method next time I get a whole loin on sale. I just saved the thread to my file so I won't lose it.
Hey Wamp! I'll let you know how it goes.:thumb:

:clap: Glad you're open minded enough to try. Make sure to use heavy duty foil and not to poke a hole in it as it will turn out all kinds of juice. Looking forward to your review.

Take it on up to 160* i.t. then foil with some apple juice (peach would be wonderful if you can find it) then put it back on till a i.t. temp of 190*. Remove from smoker and throw in a small cooler for a couple of hours. You will be amazed at how tender and juicy it is when you get ready to eat it. :wink:

I try to keep the smoker around 240 - 250 for the cook

This is basically the method that Willkat89 posted years ago. The earliest reference I can find is here.

I've tried it and it comes our good, but it's different than a loin cooked to 140. I prefer them at 140, but Bill's method comes out well.

#1 Use foil hat rub on pork loins. If there is one good thing Bigabyte did for us while he was here, it was to invent foil hat rub for me to use on pork loins. :grin:

#2 I like to cook them indirect on the kettle until around 130 then sear them over high heat to brown them up on the outside.

#3 Let them rest for 10 minutes or more, they are incredibly tasty and juicy.

Back