Smoker Reccomendation

Williefb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok here we go. Looking for a cooker to cook a whole hog (100 lb range) and at other times cook a bunch of butts for school fundraisers.

I see that all of the NC style cookers are propane and have a lot of flexibility with getting up to temp and not worrying about it.

I like the look and the comments about Lang cookers but I often don't have the time to sit with a cooker and feed it every 45 min or so.

Let me know what you reccomend.

Stumps has a smoker that'll contain a hog. Yazoo's Delta Q (Melissa Cookson; BBQ Pitmasters finals) uses it and has GC'd MIM with their hog on a Stumps.

Otherwise, I was going to say the Lang and/or Bubba Grills, but you apparently dont want an offset...

Backwoods also has a cooker that will handle a hog. You see lots of them at MBN competitions.

I see that all of the NC style cookers are propane and have a lot of flexibility with getting up to temp and not worrying about it.

Let me know what you reccomend.

Yeah the vast vast majority of cookers in NC are sadly gassers. If you're looking to get a hog cooker sans gas I'd recommend just getting one of those cheap builds on craigslist. They're always selling them around the Triangle area. Burning charcoal won't take too much effort and it holds temp for a long time.

just toss in a bunch o wood chunks and you're good.

If you want a well built hog cooker I think Carolina Cookers makes a sexy looking one and so does Willington Grills

http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/cooker.htm

Meadow Creek makes a very well thought out pig cooker.

PR 60 I believe.

Most people in NC will just rent one and there's a number of places that rent them + good welders in NC don't have webpages which sucks if you're an out of towner like myself who was looking for one.

Meadowcreek PR 60. Charcoal or gas, up to 200 lb hog, room for plenty of ribs butts or brisket if you go that route. Lots of options available. Lot of guys here using them.

i will second 42bbq the pr series from meadowcreek are awsome i cook on a pr72 charcoal unit they hold temp once i put pig on its pretty much close lid and forget great cookers
:clap2:

i will second 42bbq the pr series from meadowcreek are awsome i cook on a pr72 charcoal unit they hold temp once i put pig on its pretty much close lid and forget great cookers
:clap2:

Just to clarify - if I went with a stick burner like a Lang or Meadowcreek the use of the charcoal would cut down on my "tending" time considerably?

Williefb, Howdy;

I've done a few hogs, mostly freestyle.
If you are lookin' to build one (think that
was you askin' about size on another thread?)
I digress, Look for something about the size of a
Twin sized matress. Done a few on them...burned off
all of the cloth material first of course. Set'em on some
cut timber, shoveled the hot coals under the critter from
a small fire built on the side..... Them were good times.

hank

Just to clarify - if I went with a stick burner like a Lang or Meadowcreek the use of the charcoal would cut down on my "tending" time considerably?

Yes, but only after the addition of a charcoal basket, which MC can custom make to fit your cooker, and also an insulated firebox. I'm hoping to vend using an MC ts250 and plan on those two options. HOWEVER, they will add about $1000 to the bottom line so you have to weigh it in the balance.

Theoretically, you don't need an insulated box and could have a welder build you the charcoal basket insert and still get comparable results.

Back