Drunken Chicken on the UDS

Jadog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have never cooked drunken chicken. Anyone have some good pointers or recipes???

I don't let the chicken drink while cooking. :becky:

Are you talking beer can chicken, Chinese drunken chicken or bourbon chicken? The three are completely different and would have different answers to your question.

Take his car keys.:p

JK..lol I used to do drunken but now i do spatchcock. When i did i'd just olive oil and rub on and under the skin and use a cheap beer. Cook at a higher temp like above 325....350 always seems like the best temp though.

I don't let the chicken drink while cooking. :becky:

Are you talking beer can chicken, Chinese drunken chicken or bourbon chicken? The three are completely different and would have different answers to your question.

Sorry, I was talking about beer can chicken...

No worries, I wanted to make sure.

Fwismoker's method is pretty much the typical. I used butter instead of oil, but that's pretty much it.

I stopped doing beer can chicken for a couple of reasons. One, I never really saw an improvement in taste or juiciness. Two, since I don't drink Bud/Miller/Coors style lagers I would have to go buy a six pack just for one chicken. Didn't seem like a good use of a few dollars.

Now I will either butterfly (spatchcock) for a large bird or just throw it on whole for smaller (4 lbs and under) birds.

No matter which way you cook it, set up for indirect heat and cook the chicken to 160 (breast) and 170 (thighs). And rotate the bird occasionally to keep the cooking even

Back