Sauce running its course

Smokin' Hicks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
as awesome as it is .....is the "blues hog" flavor profile dying out among judges? it is my favorite sauce but have been messing with a few others that are very good also... I would love to try one of these other sauces in a comp. but it seems the blues hog is the dominate flavor profile....stick with the sauce that you know works and have gotten calls with or try the new stuff and piss in the wind, hoping for the best?

I think Blues hog was such a level beyond anything else on the market at the time that it just blew everything away. I do not think it is falling out of favor with judges but the new is over and other sauces have kicked it up. The one thing I might say in relation to other sauces and and Blues hog on the judging table is that something different that is good could maybe get some extra consideration points just for not being the same old thing, even if the same old thing is still very good. Hope that makes sense and of course it is just my opinion. But my opinion is on occasion worth 36 points. keith

IMHO, Sounds like you are over thinking the sauce thing. Choosing Blues Hog or not choosing Blues Hog will not win or lose a contest. Any good sauce on properly cooked meat can and does win every week.

We use it as a base sauce then add other things to make it just a little different.

stick with the sauce that you know works and have gotten calls with or try the new stuff and piss in the wind, hoping for the best?

I would have to ask you, how many entries have this same sauce? If you answered more than 1, why not try the new sauce out on a single entry and stick with your current sauce on the other turn-ins. Just an idea, never know till you try it.

Also remeber that the sauce is just one aspect of your flavor profile, right now you might have a great flavor, but what will switching the sauce do to that profile? Just because you add a good tasting sace to the mix doesnt 100% mean that it will work well with everything else that you have going on.

Yes and no.....
I have been trying different sauces lately and come to find out that some of them taste real similar to bh and it is hard to beat the "shine" also

If it goes well with everything else it shouldn't matter

Back