View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #105
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pup View Post
Please tell us about the clean-up.
Since it was asked, here we go.

This is the HMS plate after two briskets, a pork butt, two fatties and lots of bacon drippings from the finger foods. I use an 8" Drywall Taping Knife to clean it and the bottom of the cooker. It works great. Cleaning this took about 2 mintues.

This is the bottom of the cooker with all of the scrapings below. Otherwise it would just be grease and pellet ash.

The question has been asked about grease fires due to the sunken firepot. I think you would have to deliberately try to cause one by parking it on a hill, hopper side down, and never cleaning your cooker. You can see in the above picture where the grease starts. Plus the next picture shows three areas circled. It isn't very clear in this picture, but each circle notes an elevation change. So you would have to have grease pool up really deep to get over all of these obstacles.

Finally, cleaned cooker and plate.

The other thing I noticed is that this cooker smells like a well seasoned pit already. The overall cleanup time took about 15 minutes, including scraping the grates. Yes it takes longer than removing foil, but I feel the quality of the food is worth the extra work.

Thanks from: --->