BBQ Scotch Egg vs. Armadillo Egg

So guys and gals lemme know.

• Total voters
J

jmoney7269

Never made either of these, gonna do either or Thursday and just wanted to see what y'all all preferred

Just looking through my wicked good BBQ book for some ideas, would like to try this as a chefs choice entry one day. The pic of the one IQUE did looks like I could eat 20 of them. Still had a thick rich gewy yolk! Yum. And oh the maple syrup, help me lawdy Jesus!
1D83C7D2-3D4D-44C5-BC9C-1F83980665B9-1430-000001A452A1C3D8.jpg

19A02489-DE90-4332-BD5C-5389A9B0F2E8-1430-000001A44ADCB7D3.jpg

Got the syrup, got the eggs. Just don't have the book yet. Just might have to pull the trigger.

LOVE that book. Haven't tried either variety of egg yet though.

had a scotch egg for the first time this weekend.. blows away the armadillo egg IMO...

or it was just cause its new and i had armadillo eggs lots of times.

My friends had a cooking contest for their joint party. The theme was something rolled or on a roll. I rolled up some scotch egg fatties and smoked them. Within 20mins of me getting there the 2 fatties were completely gone and I had everybody coming up and telling me how delicious it was. They would try half of their piece without the spicy brown mustard and then i would tell them to try it with the brown mustard and they said it completely transformed the flavor profile. I ended up winning out of the 6 dishes that were in the contest.

I wish I had pictures of the finished product because it was a sight to behold!.

Scotch eggs are traditionally breaded and deep fried. That being said I have done them many ways on the smoker. Wrap in sausage then bacon or even melt a slice of cheese to finish. I have made them with turkey, duck, and pheasant eggs.

I made a Scotch Egg fatty earlier this year. Never had an Armadillo Egg, but it looks like the ancestor of the ABT.......I *might* have to combine the two.

A Scarmadillo Egg? Hmmmmmmmm........

There isn't a both choice :-D

I think i prefer an armadillo egg because of the jalapeño, but it would be hard to go wrong with either.

I am absolutely shocked that 68% of the votes are "never had either".
I voted for the Armadillo eggs, but just by a very small margin. If there was a "both" option, I would have voted for that.

Either one of these are a great addition to the smoker when you're cooking something larger. I mean you've already got the smoker going, why not put some smoked treats on there too.

Just....wow.
There's a whole lot of happyness that has yet to be discovered here with as many people "out there in the cold".

I voted Armadillo Egg. I've never had a smoked scotch egg, but I don't care for the "traditional" scotch eggs. Then again, I'm not a big fan of eggs in general...

You don't see the Armadillo Eggs posts like you did a few years back when I first joined. Shoot, I don't see many ABT posts or a lot of the more eccentric creations posted in the archives. :sad:

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't tried either myself. But, I just don't get the egg thing in general. I'm not a big egg person. So I guess it would have to be the Armadillo Egg.

Some of y'all might have some left over boiled eggs in the fridge from Easter.
Since they're getting kinda old, it's time to eat them or throw them away.
So my advice would be to peel the shell off, wrap some sausage around the egg, sprinkle with seasoning, and smoke that sucker!

I'm in the "never had either" camp. I'm kind of embarrassed to say I actually had to go look them up to see what the difference is. :oops:

I'd go with both if it was an option.

I made some scotch eggs last weekend and making more tomorrow evening for a friend. Good eats.

Back