This is for pepper lovers.

I grew some ghosts, and some of the current (*supposed*) world record holder, called 'Carolina Reaper'. Very tasty raw (in small doses) and I did a number of flavored salts which my friends relieved me of pretty quickly.

I always grow a ton of jalapeno's. This summer, I am going to use my new weber bullet smoker to do some homemade chipotles with them. Anyone done that previously?

We have a guy that comes by my work once a week and sells homemade gourmet beef jerky. He has lots of flavors and rotates and does 5 or 6 every week. He has a teriyaki that's dusted with Trinidad Moruga Scorpion chili powder. MY GOD that is hot! It tastes awesome at first. Kind of sweet and with almost a fruit essence and then the heat just builds and builds until it's unbearable. A tiny little piece the size of a dime just killed my mouth for like an hour. That's a hot pepper.

I always grow a ton of jalapeno's. This summer, I am going to use my new weber bullet smoker to do some homemade chipotles with them. Anyone done that previously?

This year I used the UDS, but in years past I would use the Weber. I pick after they have turned red. Then, I smoke them overnight and then dry out completely. Then they are put in a food processor and chopped up into flakes. I then use the flakes all year long to add a sweet, hot, smokey flavor when needed or add to rubs etc.

Thought I'd provide a personal update. I just ordered two packs of Carolina Reaper seeds. I'm giving one pack to a colleague that grows peppers as he has more of a green thumb than I do. If mine don't take, then I'll borrow from him.

I also ordered a bottle of the Carolina Reaper puree. $20 for 2 oz. is kind of steep, but I figure if it only gets used a drop or two at a time, it should last me a while.

I absolutely love peppers; I do not particularly enjoy pain. At some point you reach Scoville levels that are not for enjoyment, but for chest thumping bragging rights. :roll:

Oh, absolutely. Like was mentioned in the article, it is a thrill seeking venture, of sorts. I have the sauces and peppers that I use for everyday consumption and them another set of sauces and peppers that are for exhibition purposes. I find the heat challenges fun.

A few years ago, I grew some Bhuts (ghost peppers). They were insanely hot. I just had a Facebook friend send me a few of the new hottest peppers. Some of the scorpions were dried and are in a hand-held grinder....a pepper mill that I keep at my table. Just a few sprinkles on everything from eggs to whatever adds flavor and a lot of heat. I'm unfortunately addicted. I'm afraid the next batch won't be free. I'll be calling her at three in the morning begging for just one more....please, front me a pepper...I'm jonesing...

Thought I'd provide a personal update. I just ordered two packs of Carolina Reaper seeds. I'm giving one pack to a colleague that grows peppers as he has more of a green thumb than I do. If mine don't take, then I'll borrow from him.

I also ordered a bottle of the Carolina Reaper puree. $20 for 2 oz. is kind of steep, but I figure if it only gets used a drop or two at a time, it should last me a while.

Oh, absolutely. Like was mentioned in the article, it is a thrill seeking venture, of sorts. I have the sauces and peppers that I use for everyday consumption and them another set of sauces and peppers that are for exhibition purposes. I find the heat challenges fun.

Let me know how that turns out for ya'! Go ahead...put a drop on your tongue and swish it around!:laugh:

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA'!:p

I actually tried some hot sauce made with these peppers this past weekend. I'm not gonna lie.
It felt like a top fuel dragster had done a burnout on my farking tongue. Then it felt like I drank the fuel they run them with.
These peppers are nothing to play around with! They farking HURT!

Let me know how that turns out for ya'! Go ahead...put a drop on your tongue and swish it around!:laugh:

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA'!:p

You guys want a video of that? I'll dance for your entertainment.

When the puree comes in, I'll record the opening and a little taste of it by itself.

If it has any entertainment value, I'll post it up here.

You guys want a video of that? I'll dance for your entertainment.

When the puree comes in, I'll record the opening and a little taste of it by itself.

If it has any entertainment value, I'll post it up here.

I'm dead serious. These farking things are HOOOOOOOOOT!!

Got my seeds and extract in at the end of last week, but just got back in town myself tonight.

I took a very small taste of that stuff (dipped a toothpick in half way and put it on my tongue) and WOW is it hot. I'm have a pretty solid tolerance for heat, so my reaction to the heat wasn't much. That isn't to say it isn't hot, though.

My wife got the guts to give it a try. Jalapenos are more than she cares for, to give you an idea of where she stands on heat. For her, I put the smallest speck of extract on the very tip of a toothpick. It hit her tongue and she was instantly needing the milk. Red face, sweat, cough, the whole nine.

Good stuff. Worth the $20. Now it is off to learn how to get the highest yield out of my seeds.

Ive actually ate sauces made by these peppers they actually have a great taste to them, they are hot but they actually taste good.

Ive actually ate sauces made by these peppers they actually have a great taste to them, they are hot but they actually taste good.

The extract actually did have a pretty nice taste to it. I'll probably put in another order with him at some point and try some of the sauces.

Trying to decide when the best time to get the seeds started will be.

Got my seeds and extract in at the end of last week, but just got back in town myself tonight.

I took a very small taste of that stuff (dipped a toothpick in half way and put it on my tongue) and WOW is it hot. I'm have a pretty solid tolerance for heat, so my reaction to the heat wasn't much. That isn't to say it isn't hot, though.

My wife got the guts to give it a try. Jalapenos are more than she cares for, to give you an idea of where she stands on heat. For her, I put the smallest speck of extract on the very tip of a toothpick. It hit her tongue and she was instantly needing the milk. Red face, sweat, cough, the whole nine.

Good stuff. Worth the $20. Now it is off to learn how to get the highest yield out of my seeds.

Definitely NOT for rookies, indeed!!

One of my coworker's husband grows the Jolokia, the Butch T and the Moruga.

He sent us two of each pepper for inclusion in another coworker's wife's salsa.

She made a triple batch, each one containing a different pepper.

Most of us like it hot, so the Jolokia was no problem. It was a slow, consistent burn.

The other two HURT, but the pain went away after about 30 minutes.

I wouldn't try them straight up. You don't get to be my age by burning your tastebuds or stomach lining, or intestinal tract.

Back