Two chickens in the UDS

Kenn007BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
emy9umuq.jpg
It's a sunny day in Oakland California and I could not pass up the opportunity to cook up something.

I bought the chicken on sale at for 99cents # and ended up with two birds.. Instead of cooking one bird at a time, I decided to try something radical...... Two whole chickens in the UDS at once :crazy:

I fired up the UDS and once it was at 220, in went both birds. I Seasoned the birds with a seasoning blend and took the inside parts out. Inside the birds I poured a teriyaki marinade inside and made a nice puddle

Used only Kingsford brickettes with 3-4 fist full chunks of cherry and hickory I bought from Home Depot

An hour into the cook temps kept climbing and when it reached 325, I capped it down and it cruised there for the duration, give or take 25 degrees

Birds were done in 3 hours 30 minutes. When breast reached 160, thighs and leg were 170+....... Results, smoky and extremely juicy. But not as flavorful as I want it. Next time e I will try brining or injecting for more flavor..... Also the skin was rubbery.... Probably cause I kept basting that bird.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good. Curious if the teriyaki worked well ?? Is it just noticeable on one side of the bird ? I have a bottle in the fridge that I need to use.

Cheers.

The rubbery skin woudl be caused by not being at a hire temperature for enough time to render the fat out of the skin. Try cooking the entire time at 325-350 and the skin will be nice and crisp.

Brining adds quite a bit of flavor to the whole chickens. I tried brining for the first time a few weeks ago and I will never do a bird again without brining it.

Back