Money Muscle

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on turning in just mm? I have never judged a comp but has anyone seen this come across the tables?

I turn in mm,pulled and or chopped mm is sliced.

since I moved out west, the mm seems more important than in FL, but then again, maybe why thats why some of the guys did better than we did. But, to tell the truth, I have a hard time finding butts with a good m/m. I have heard all kind of ways, but...I guess I still have a lot to learn. However, I am pretty sure its important to turn it in, sliced

There are many contest where teams can sell samples here in CA. As a result, some teams who concentrate on the selling vs. competing are cooking lots of butts. That results in some boxes filled with sliced MM. Don't think they have had the results in the comp., but they do sell a lot of samples.

I did once last year out of necessity.....no tender chunks. Think I ended up 11th or 12th.

It is not very common to see only MM in a box, but we do see it once in a while. It might suffer a wee bit on the appearance score (most judges like to see something along with the MM), but should score well for taste and tenderness if done right.

I wouldn't do JUST money muscle, unless you were doing more than one and were slicing and then pulling the other. I've come to accept that in pork and beef the judges definitely prefer having more than one style of meat in the box.

A old time pitmaster from lawnside n.j. would say if you cook it right it's all money.:-D:-D

A old time pitmaster from lawnside n.j. would say if you cook it right it's all money.:-D:-D
how many comps did he win. love pulled but think you need mm to win i've heard. I hit or miss with pork. are scores are higher with sliced mm and chunked

BJ, here locally I have never seen a box with only MM.
Best scoring boxs have nice thick slices,thumb size chunks w/nice bark, and sliced MM with bark and color.
Ed
Hint, if MM is overdone (mushy)--- LEAVE IT OUT!!

Call me dumb, wheres the money muscle? pictures? our local comps dont do brisket and butts...

All this talk lately about the MM.. who's really worried about it being submitted? Judges or just us cooks?..

So, Hey you judges.. do you typically have an inclination to score down because there's no MM slices???..

So, Hey you judges.. do you typically have an inclination to score down because there's no MM slices???..

NO.

It sometimes helps the appearance scores (for some judges), but a judge is supposed to judge what is presented - NOT - what they are "looking for"!!! (Unlike Myron in this season of Pitmaster!)

So many times judging you see a nice looking box with M/M slices, pulled, and chunks in the box, the M/M slices are full of fat and the pulled is just meat with no flavor that takes that box score down, when i see a box with the dark meat chunks with great flavor, good texture, thats what i'm talking bout, that's a 9. You judge what is presented to you. Just my .02

No. I judge what is presented to me, not what is omitted from the entry.
exactly---but think that isn't the case most of the time these days--at least from the chatter you overhear in the judging tent despite admonitions to judge as presented sometimes methinks that the"tv" influence is strong

buzz

exactly---but think that isn't the case most of the time these days--at least from the chatter you overhear in the judging tent despite admonitions to judge as presented sometimes methinks that the"tv" influence is strong

buzz

Buzz, not that the TV influence doesnt influence judges, but from what I've
seen it influences competitors 10 to 1 over judges, and not necessarily for
their benefit. MM, from what I understand, isn't nearly as prevalent 'round here as it is elsewhere, and even though we see it now in 70% of the boxes, before Season 1 Pitmasters I'd probably go 2 or 3 contests without seeing anything but pulled/chunks in an MBN box. In this region, up until PitMasters Season 1, for the most part anything other than pulled was frowned upon in appearance because it brought up historical memories of sliced or chopped pork which tends to have a lot of fat and gristle in it...

Also, it's amazing what some competitors will come away with when watching judges (which tends to be both out of context and in some cases just plain wrong)... This has been my experience; yours may vary.

buzz

I guess the "chatter" in judging tents in Wisconsin is much different from the "chatter" in judging tents in the SouthEast! I judge almost every weekend and I definitely don't hear "it's NOT in the box" or ANYTHING similar! Maybe there is something to the "regionalility" thing in judging after all!!!

Back