Vacuum packaging brisket

G

GeauxBigRed

Well, it's planting time here in Iowa and my mother in law is bringing me a brisket(s) to smoke for the guys in the field. I have previously cooked a 20lb butt for her for this reason and when I did that I pulled and packaged in serving size appropriate bags (she usually has 4-6 guys to feed).

My question: With the brisket flat should I go ahead and slice and package the same way? Or should I cut it into chunks, package, and the let her slice when she is ready to use it? Obviously, with the point I will just chop and package in serving size packages...

Any other thoughts or ideas? :crazy:

Thanks!
:-D

^^^^ I would agree with Bubba. It will be more moist and the flavor will keep better. Just another opinion bro.

I smoke and freeze a lot of brisket flats and I always slice before putting into Foodsaver bags and vac packing. Reheat right in the bag and then slide into a Corningware dish for serving. It works for me!

David

I slice it as well, and add a little foiling broth to the meat. Just gotta be careful to let the bag hang down when vacuuming or juice will get sucked into the tray.

Alright, two for slicing and two for not slicing...

The not slicing makes perfect sense but the slicing would be good to make it easier/quicker to get the meals ready for the field...hmm.

I smoke and freeze a lot of brisket flats and I always slice before putting into Foodsaver bags and vac packing. Reheat right in the bag and then slide into a Corningware dish for serving. It works for me!

David

I do the same thing.

David

I do this too, except I use packers. Thaw in the fridge (or sink) and boil in the bag. It turns out great.

I do Brisket FLATS by the case and here is what I do....

Bring them to 170 then foil, back on until they hit 195, wrap again and put in cambro or cooler for 2 hours.

THEN bring out and let cool down and then into the refrigerator overnight to cool down. The next day slice them cold and when you put in the foodsaver bags, that meaty jelly stuff that forms inside the foil, scoop that stuff up and put in the bag as well. Some coagulated grease don't hurt neither. Then reheat in the bag. Slicing cold is a little more difficult, but I believe has better results.

Reasons/theories why I do it this way: As the brisket cools/rests I believe it draws a good amount of that moisture that is in the foil back into the meat. Also, that meat jelly stuff and the coagulated grease can also be put into the bag. Both good stuff to have around the meat when you are dropping those bags down in boiling water to re-heat. Cut the bag open and serve only when ready to serve, keeping the moisture close to the meat as long as possible. I also make sure to thaw the packages before re-heating.

THat is what I do with great results

Back