• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
What is that brace?

Hi Guys,

I want to brace my intake valve like the one in this picture, but I can't find the brace at the hardware store. What is it called so I know what to look for. BTW whoever built this drum did a great job!!

Attachments

• udspics003xn3.jpg
    udspics003xn3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,214
Not sure what it is called exactly, but if you look in the electrical section of the hardware store or the Big Orange Box near the electrical conduit stuff, you will find it. Conduit clamp perhaps?

long thermo

Thanks for the input about the long themo!
Cooked 18lb turkey yesterday;my second one ever,did my homework on the thread [or so I thought],brined the bird for 1 1\2 hrs rinsed and dried it ,put it in uds side temp 325 side temp.Little maple chunks for some smoke and let her go;boy did she ever smoke!!!!!
Took a look in 2 1\2 hrs to see if it was time to put in the spuds and the bird was already done!I was thinking it'd take another hour or so but bird came off @3:30,done.
Middle temp must have been 400+.
Bird was excellent!Fed 14 people with lots left for lunches.

I was really lucky! MUST get to wallyworld for the long thermo!

Lovin that UDS ,Happy Easter, Bros!

Rocky

Anyone ever use one of these for an intake? There called floor plates with attached ball valve. I figured just drill some holes and mount it no welding involved. Maybe seal with some high temp silicone if needed.

Do you like the double hook better than the single hook?

Definetly! Nice and stable.

Hi Guys,

I want to brace my intake valve like the one in this picture, but I can't find the brace at the hardware store. What is it called so I know what to look for. BTW whoever built this drum did a great job!!

Thank you! :biggrin:

Not sure what it is called exactly, but if you look in the electrical section of the hardware store or the Big Orange Box near the electrical conduit stuff, you will find it. Conduit clamp perhaps?

Thats it, a conduit clamp.

Hey Bubba...do you just have one intake on that puppy? Awesome lookin' pit BTW...:p

Nope, 3 intakes.
I've gone to the magnets for the other 2 intakes.
No more locknuts, rusted caps or trip hazzards!

Thanks for the input about the long themo!
Cooked 18lb turkey yesterday;my second one ever,did my homework on the thread [or so I thought],brined the bird for 1 1\2 hrs rinsed and dried it ,put it in uds side temp 325 side temp.Little maple chunks for some smoke and let her go;boy did she ever smoke!!!!!
Took a look in 2 1\2 hrs to see if it was time to put in the spuds and the bird was already done!I was thinking it'd take another hour or so but bird came off @3:30,done.
Middle temp must have been 400+.
Bird was excellent!Fed 14 people with lots left for lunches.

I was really lucky! MUST get to wallyworld for the long thermo!

Lovin that UDS ,Happy Easter, Bros!

Rocky
I've been getting the 12 inch therms at Meijers for 2.99.they work great and look good.

This is my addition to the ugly drums.

Getting ready to burn out
IMG_2616.jpg

Second smoke:
IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

OK,OK
I'd love to find a 12" thermo from Meijers, I cant crack the labrynth of their website !
I thought I wuz getting pretty good @ the puter......but guess not.

any clues?

RockyAthabaska

PS; Nice build ferntj, digital and dial thermos.Hmmmmm....

Has anyone tried to straighten out one of those stainless electric probes ?

It's no myth, they are real. Here is what you are looking for. I picked these up for jtwisted13, looks like according to usps calculater they will ship anywhere in the us for around 3 dollars. and you can probably send 3 or 4 for that. They wiegh 1.7 ozs. with the cardboard they come on.IMG_0891.jpg

Ok, i got my hands on two food-grade drums(54gals) saturday. I'm looking for alot of help. # of air intake & size , # of holes on the lid for exhaust? What size grate do i need to fit in the drum? How far does the grate need to be from the fire basket? I measured the drum and the i.d. Is 21 15/16 inches & 34 inches high. Where do i need to put the thermometer? Do i need a water pan?

Hey masiewiz, here is an easy option for the intake brace just a stainless eyebolt.

Attachments

• DSC02679.jpg
    DSC02679.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,223
Hey akarpf, you gotta do what the rest of us did, read the bible (this thread) from cover to cover then you can go for it without to much help.

Ok, i got my hands on two food-grade drums(54gals) saturday. I'm looking for alot of help. # of air intake & size , # of holes on the lid for exhaust? What size grate do i need to fit in the drum? How far does the grate need to be from the fire basket? I measured the drum and the i.d. Is 21 15/16 inches & 34 inches high. Where do i need to put the thermometer? Do i need a water pan?

spend a couple days reading this thread from the beginning... all your questions are answered... :lol:

Back