Kingsford :(

It's like beer. I used to drink crap beer (BudMilloors), then I got my mind right. I'll still drink the swill when it's the only thing around. (Thankfully, it rarely is. And of course I apologize to all who love that beer. :wink:)

Same w/ BBQ fuel. Used to use KBB, and still will in a pinch, but now going mostly lump. I'll buy a twin-pack to have in reserve during the Memorial Day sale probably.

Lump prices are good right now, so I'm loading up. The True Value Cowboy online deal is great- $8.99/20# bag, plus $5 off any $30+ purchase. Trader Joe's hardwood briqs are $8.99/18# bag.

The reduction in ash alone is worth the price increase over KBB, imHo.

Kingsford is not all things to all cooks. If I was Minion only it would be down on my list. I do a ton of indirect higher heat grilling and smoking on my old green Mastertouch Weber kettle. Tonight I will sear some brats, put them in a foil pan with onions and two beers and then cook indirect in the beer for an hour. The onion will be nice an browned and the brats will be perfect. I will toast to the Kingsford blue for being ideal for performance to price and then consume a Grain Belt Premium beer.
In a few weeks I will go wild on the memorial day sale and stock up on blue for the rest of the year.

I have this strange belief that a lot can be accomplished with a Weber kettle, a bag of Kingsford blue, a nice cut of meat, and some apple wood. 80% of my cooking is that simple but I don't neccessarily see it as simple cooking.

Kingsford is not all things to all cooks. If I was Minion only it would be down on my list. I do a ton of indirect higher heat grilling and smoking on my old green Mastertouch Weber kettle. Tonight I will sear some brats, put them in a foil pan with onions and two beers and then cook indirect in the beer for an hour. The onion will be nice an browned and the brats will be perfect. I will toast to the Kingsford blue for being ideal for performance to price and then consume a Grain Belt Premium beer.
In a few weeks I will go wild on the memorial day sale and stock up on blue for the rest of the year.

I have this strange belief that a lot can be accomplished with a Weber kettle, a bag of Kingsford blue, a nice cut of meat, and some apple wood. 80% of my cooking is that simple but I don't neccessarily see it as simple cooking.

whats so strange about that?

sounds perfectly normal to me.

Use it hot to kick off the minion method with lump in your UDS. or Buy a dutch oven.
X2.....

Exclusively lump. Kingsford smells bad as in stinky.

Messed up and seasoned a Mini UDS I built from a 15 gallon drum and it took me 4 burns with lump and mesquite chips to get the Kingsford stink out.

Using the fuse method, it never seems to clear and clean up. I'm strictly lump now and happy as a clam.

Yeah, I've been meaning to try lump for a while, but I've used the minion method with the kingsford and didn't have the white smoke problem. I will admit though it does put out a foul odor when first lit.

I use the Kingsford Blue almost exclusively in my OTG, for cooks ranging from minutes to 3-4 hrs. I've been pretty darn happy with it. Once and a while I might wish for more heat, but except for those rare times it does just what I want it to do. Very likely that my pallet isn't particularly refined, but I've had no issues related to taste or weird smell or anything of that nature. To each his own :)

I tried the Kingsford Hickory last weekend, won't be monkeying around any more. I'm going back to Stubbs and staying, lights quicker and less ash, not to mention the food tastes better.

what did you not like about Stubbs?

I think its excellent and doesnt have that off smell that KBB has lighting up which I dont want on my food when doing a minion burn on my vertical

To me Stubbs smells bad when lighting.... Maybe I'm just used to the smell of KB or had a bad couple of bags.... Smelled really strong/harsh to me.... Maybe I will try some again & see... Just my observations..... All brands seem to have their followers.... I also do mostly indirect grilling & some longer cooks on WSM & Performers (butts/brisket) & the KB does ash up pretty bad compared to the others.

To me Stubbs smells bad when lighting.... Maybe I'm just used to the smell of KB or had a bad couple of bags.... Smelled really strong/harsh to me.... Maybe I will try some again & see... Just my observations..... All brands seem to have their followers.... I also do mostly indirect grilling & some longer cooks on WSM & Performers (butts/brisket) & the KB does ash up pretty bad compared to the others.

Stubbs smells natural to me. I run KBB in my kettle for basic grilling. I run lump for caveman steaks and run stubbs in my WSM for smoking. Seems to work for me.

I use Kingsford a lot, I have tried Stubbs and I like Kingsford better. I guess its what Im use to. My only complaint with Kingsford is the amount of ash it leaves behind.

Back