• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Announcment Smoke on the Water - North Alabama

As RX said it's Aug 17-18th this year. They've been having some problem w/ getting the website updated but they've been emailing most all people who're on the judges or competitors lists from years past.

sloss has some of the dumbest rules, so we are out of it for the next three years
the other contest sounds fun

sloss has some of the dumbest rules, so we are out of it for the next three years
the other contest sounds fun
do tell ?? hope none of our rules scare ppl away. we are new to this, only rule we have had a buncha flack about is no gas grills. we are sticking to charcoal/wood only and i have never seen so many people whine and cry. i just tell them sorry. haha

Also, might be too late, but expand the Kids Que program. As a junior, I'm gonna skip it or enter the adults if it's something pointless like burgers. Add shortish cook items like ribs and chicken for kids, if you want that category to be taken seriously. Good luck though!

Also, might be too late, but expand the Kids Que program. As a junior, I'm gonna skip it or enter the adults if it's something pointless like burgers. Add shortish cook items like ribs and chicken for kids, if you want that category to be taken seriously. Good luck though!

thanks. will look at that next year.

You also might try going by Stokin the Fire at Sloss in Aug this year & speading the word to some of the teams there. You might pick up a few that don't know about your contest but there's bound to be a couple that already know about it & are considering it.
would love to go to this event, already have a bbq fundraiser that day in guntersville.

I'm curious about this post. Why do you think burgers are "pointless" for Kids Que? I thought the motive behind Kids Que was to encourage youngsters to cook something on a grill that wasn't too intimidating, and burgers seem like they would be accessible to even the youngest kids.

I'm not busting on you here, just wondering why you think this way as an organizer considering adding Kids Que to an event next year.

I'm curious about this post. Why do you think burgers are "pointless" for Kids Que? I thought the motive behind Kids Que was to encourage youngsters to cook something on a grill that wasn't too intimidating, and burgers seem like they would be accessible to even the youngest kids.

I'm not busting on you here, just wondering why you think this way as an organizer considering adding Kids Que to an event next year.

i agree, we thought burgers were good for the kids to get familiar with the cooking process.

update : we now have room for RV or camper spots if needed. must be self sustaining, no power or water at rv sites.

yeah i cant pull up alabama bbq trail either. we do have the event listed on facebook. it on
Friends of georgia mountain vol. fire/rescue page, or you can find it from my facebook page. (brandon brown) .

as far as locals running the event. well that would be me. i already have about 10 judges, looking for several more. we will have score sheets and make formal winner announcements on the stage before the free concert. right now we are accepting teams, but my question is, are we starting too early for an october event?
The Alabama BBQ Association website is www.alabamabbqassociation.com. I definitely think it would be worth your time to try and get Smoke on the River on the Trail. It will also probably bring in more backyard teams too since only the competitions on the trail contribute to teams' overall state standings.

Back