why thighs?

burris

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have never entered or even been to a competition, nor have I taken a class on judging. I do know that Americans prefer breasts. The chicken joints around me get rid of their excess pieces on their slow day, Tuesday, with a $0.99 leg and thigh deal. They do this because they buy whole chickens to save money but they sell more breast/wing combos than leg/thigh. I have dined at many of the world finest restaurants and universally they serve breast meat if they serve chicken, unless it's something odd like back cartilage. Even at lesser restaurants I find that you get breast if you don't get half the chicken. So, given a demonstrable preference for breast, why does nearly everyone turn in thighs? Clearly, the teams perceive their chances of winning are better with thighs. I hope you can help me to understand this.

It all about the juice. Breast meat dries out real quick sitting in a turn box, Remember it could be 15-20 minutes before a judge get the food

Personally, I prefer to turn in wings, and have had pretty good success in doing so. I don't care to eat thighs so therefore I don't practice them. Breasts are my favorite but don't know that I'd try to turn them in.

I hate thighs. But thighs is what wins (mostly).

Tenderness, tenderness, tenderness. It pretty much tastes the same (largely). If
you can get a good tender/moist breast carried through judging (as said earlier, after 20 minutes in a box), go for it. Otherwise it's tough to beat a thigh. Teams that win,
consistently, present thighs.

I think thighs are more forgiving and have more fat content that keeps them juicier for the judges.

I would not ever order a thigh anywhere, especially fried chicken. But when we get done with our thighs at comps, I'd eat 'em any day. Same with a lot of teams' thigh turn ins. I've tasted several and they're all good.

I would have to add that thighs can be shaped to fit a box very symmetrically and many various ways. Breasts are limited in that regard. As a judge, I have heard, I want to take a real bite of chicken and not a sliver.

We just got a first in daytona and a second in indiana in chicken using shredded thighs and gizzards. I'll try to get the pictures.

Thighs are easier and more forgiving.

There is a real small window when it comes to white meat. Legsand wings are great to eat, but they have too connective tissue and skin:meat ratio, IMHO.

You have to cook what you are comfortable with, and for most that = thighs.

I would have to add that thighs can be shaped to fit a box very symmetrically and many various ways. Breasts are limited in that regard. As a judge, I have heard, I want to take a real bite of chicken and not a sliver.

We just got a first in daytona and a second in indiana in chicken using shredded thighs and gizzards. I'll try to get the pictures.

gizzards? wanna elaborate on that one? :confused:

Thighs are more forgiving less chance of drying out.

We usually smoke whole chickens and then shred all the majority of the bird, and then slice a breast to put on top of that so that the judges can see the skin. We'd had good luck with that in the past, but haven't as of recently. We're thinking of trying thighs eventhough I've never cooked just a thigh in my life. I'm a breast man....

Attachments

• chick.JPG
    chick.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
Gizzards

gizzards? wanna elaborate on that one? :confused:

If you don't start with softer, squishier gizzards this will not work!
1. Soften them up in a brine for 3 hours.
2. Rub them
3. Wrap them in scraped thigh skin
4. Rub the skin
5. Cook in butter (keep one side up...tricky part) for 20 mins @ 275
6. Cook on rack for 20 mins @ 275
7. Mop and cook for another 20 mins @ 275.

They can be setup to look pretty unique, but that part is up to you. It started off as a bet that I wouldn't turn in drumsticks and I told a friend that if he paid for half my entries, I would turn in gizzards.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT A COMPETITION...TRY THIS AT HOME FIRST!!!

Oh yeah, I am a student of Swamp Boys Cook School! Don't know if this is a good plug for Rub or not!

O man you had to tell them about the gizzards,,,,,,,keep the necks under the hat for a while...

Oh yeah, I am a student of Swamp Boys Cook School! Don't know if this is a good plug for Rub or not!

Leave me outta these shenanigans Joel Vann.
:shock::wacko::loco::tape2::cop::ban::nono::eek: :scared::butt::rant::fencing::biteme:

I'll be trying legs and wings this season... been practicing them all winter... So we'll see.

There are teams all be it a tiny minority who do well with legs and breasts. You can also BS with Food TV crew TOO much and burn most of your thighs that are finishing on the grill :pray: You're left putting 4 Legs, 2 Thighs and 1 sliced breast in the box. That hail Mary finished in the top 1 percent out of 400 teams at the royal, just saying.

Back