Puerto Rican Q

ciret

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Check out these roadside chicken stands. They brine the chicken and season with a rub, lots of garlic and cumin. Slow roasted on a rotiserre over lump charcoal. Good stuff. They do 10-12 chickens on each spit and on a busy day may have 5 ot 6 spits going at a time. And they sell out by mid afternoon. This located in the southwest area of the island. The pictures are in a little town named Guanica, (it's where the US troops landed at the end of the Spanish American War).

Another great food item is the roast pig, or lechon, served in lechonera's along with fried pork skin (chicharrons), fried pastry turnovers, fried balls of mashed plantains with pork or sausage emmbeded.

If you ever get to Puerto Rico get out of San Juan and see the country villages and towns. I was told that the north coast has roadside stands that sell fried food , but it is different than what they have in the south. I didn't get a chance to try that , but the chickens or pollo al carbon along the road in the south is great.

Attachments

• pollo 01.JPG
    pollo 01.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 81
  • pollo 10.JPG
    pollo 10.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 09.JPG
    pollo 09.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 08.JPG
    pollo 08.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 07.JPG
    pollo 07.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 06.JPG
    pollo 06.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 78
  • pollo 05.JPG
    pollo 05.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 04.JPG
    pollo 04.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 82
  • pollo 03.JPG
    pollo 03.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 81
  • pollo 02.JPG
    pollo 02.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 81
More Puerto Rico Pics

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• roadside fried 05.JPG
    roadside fried 05.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 79
  • roadside fried 04.JPG
    roadside fried 04.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 79
  • roadside fried 03.jpg
    roadside fried 03.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 78
  • roadside fried 02.jpg
    roadside fried 02.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 78
  • roadside fried 01.JPG
    roadside fried 01.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 78
  • pollo 14.JPG
    pollo 14.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 13.JPG
    pollo 13.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 12.JPG
    pollo 12.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 79
  • pollo 11.JPG
    pollo 11.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 80
  • roadside fried 06.JPG
    roadside fried 06.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 78
thanks for this post. aside from the great looking food it has an example of one of my favorite forms of art, the home made roadside sign! especially the ones advertizing food stands. these things have loads of rough hewn character and to me depict the personality of the area they are from. on long island we have alot of ones depicting vegetables out at the farm stands on the east end(i will try to post some photos). i especially like ones from the carribean so the one above, to me, is really cool! if anyone else has examples of ones from where they are, i would love to see them. also, sorry if i hijacked this thread. thanks.
phil

Goodpics. I have been to Poerto Rico a couple times but never ventured outside of San Juan except for on a bus tour.

One of the best sites I saw was driving by a cock fighting arena. Next stop along the road was a chicken stand.

When I was Puerto Rico, we actually had lunch up in El Yunque or The Rain Forest. On the way back to the hotel we stopped by some stand like there but we were too full to eat. We did stop by the Pina Colada stands and got the special ones made with 151 rum. What a nice trip back! *hic*

Bill,

It is a totally manual operation. I noticed the sprockets on some rigs also, but didn't ask about them and never saw anyone using a motor to turn them. On the weekends they would bring the kids to do the turning:) Intro to BBQ 101 . . .

Brought back memories for me. i spent alot of time in PR back in the ninties and ate alot of road side food. PR has the best. every thing from Pinchos(marinated beef chunks on a stick) to lobster tails can be bought at a roadside vendor.
i never went hungry!

Back