• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine (pic)

John, thanks for getting this post back out there. I copied it last year but did not do a Turkey. The Wife wants to do one for Thanksgiving this year as a test run for when her family is here at Christmas. She Loves all of your recipes and will often ask I you have one for something new she wants to try. Thanks again.

I have a Honeysuckle White frozen turkey. Should I brine it before it goes on the smoker? I would like to but am not sure if this type of turkey should be brined or not. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I have a Honeysuckle White frozen turkey. Should I brine it before it goes on the smoker? I would like to but am not sure if this type of turkey should be brined or not. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I believe they add a 8 % solution

For "enhanced" birds, just use half the salt in the brine.

I mention this in my original blog post.

John

I think I may have to give this a go this year. Even though I have considered doing it for a long time, this will be my first attempt at brining a bird.

Thanks for the recipe/technique. I can't wait to try it out.

One of my favorite recipes ever on this site, nice job bumping for the Holiday! Thanks John

It was awesome! This was my first smoked turkey and I was doing it for a church dinner tonight. Everyone loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe!

I'm using PatioDaddio's brine this year for the turkey, as I was out hunting the Chinese 5 spice that I found at Target I was reading the back of the label and there I came across the irony of all ironies(or at least to me in my wacky sense of humor): PRODUCT OF THE USA. What the heck!?

This brine helped produce the best turkey I have ever prepared. It was my first time brining a bird, and now there is NO going back.

I had your average supermarket bird. You know, the kind with the salt solution already added -- this of course concerned me -- but hey, you work with what you have. I cut the salt in half (as was suggested) and the results were outstanding.

No hyperbole. The juiciest bird I have ever eaten.

Thanks for the inspiration and recipe. :clap2:

Oh, also worth pointing out how inexpensive of a brine this was. Many of the other recipes I stumbled across called for a high number of ingredients, some even a bit exotic. With those I felt like I was going to have to spend as much for the brine as for the bird. Not with this one. Highly recommended.

I'm doing a 19-lb un-enhanced bird on the UDS as we speak. As always, I
used this brine.

UltimateTurkeyBrine_1_1_630.jpg

UltimateTurkeyBrine_1_2_630.jpg

UDSTurkey_2011.jpg

I'm very happy to hear that so many folks are having success with the recipe.

John

Last edited:
I have to add my thanks for this brine recipe. This was my first smoked turkey. Everyone raved about the taste. My 19yo daughter said it was the best turkey she'd ever tasted! That's pretty high praise. Well done, John!

THANK YOU JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did my first smoked turkey in your brine and I have no leftovers. I'm out of ziplocks too. Next time I do this I'm not going to tell anyone. It was a major hit! Thanks again!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Awesome! Even though schedules kept me from doing it exactly as listed (brined for 18 hours, air dried for 4), this came out great!

Cooked the 12 lb. bird on the WSM and it was a hit at our house.

This one goes in my tried/approved file!

Thanks so much for sharing!

A dozen turkeys were gifted to me to cook for a local long term re-hab facility. The particular center operates on donations only. I've never done turkeys before but with the knowledge I've found in this thread seems like it can't be that difficult.

Many thanks John for sharing your knowledge.

Dave

A dozen turkeys were gifted to me to cook for a local long term re-hab facility. The particular center operates on donations only. I've never done turkeys before but with the knowledge I've found in this thread seems like it can't be that difficult.

Many thanks John for sharing your knowledge.

Dave

Sharing is what it's all about! I'm happy to help in whatever little way I can.

John

Back