Beverage restrictions at comps

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Will be doing my first comps this year and almost everyone I look at prohibits alcohol. Now I'm going to cook not to get hammered but I do enjoy a few beers while baby sitting the smoker. What has been your experience with this? Is is stricktly enforced in most cases? Are the comps held on state park property more rigid about this? Is it only because I live in NJ where fun goes to die?

Use cups. Don't toss the bottles/cans loose in the trash!

I just received the app for Seaside Heights and they are not allowing alcohol at all. Being from the area I know the police will not tolerate it. I will be dinking anyway. Just keep it low key and don't puke in public.

Maybe because in Iowa there is little else to do other than drink and make babies (*joke), but all the comps here I believe allow alcohol consumption on-site, just as long as KCBS guidelines on the issue are followed. IMHO a cook-off without a coupla beers or the 9:30/11:00 clonesickle shot is not much of a cook-off at all. Not that one cannot do a cookoff without it, but to me a little booze is part of the experience and culture of competition barbeque.

We have an open container law in Washington. Just keep it relatively low key and use a cup. The cops look the other way if you are part of the event. They bust the drunken idiots walking around with bottles.

I've never had a problem, if I keep it in a cup and don't act stupid. YMMV based on those doing the enforcement.

We have an open container law in Washington. Just keep it relatively low key and use a cup. The cops look the other way if you are part of the event. They bust the drunken idiots walking around with bottles.

This is good information. They should have put that in the contest flyer. Beer cans in coozies...check.

No booze at a BBQ? :eek: Might as well cancel the American Royal. :icon_smil I can only imagine how much money is made for their charities through sales/admissions due to the huge parties that happens down there Friday night. Nothing like a volunteer driving the Gator over with a fresh keg.

We have a lot of comps with Beer gardens. We pretty much do the red cup and insulated cup thing here in SOCAL.

No booze at a BBQ? :eek: Might as well cancel the American Royal. :icon_smil I can only imagine how much money is made for their charities through sales/admissions due to the huge parties that happens down there Friday night. Nothing like a volunteer driving the Gator over with a fresh keg.
And it sure was fun watching the gals in high heels going down the hill back to the bus pick up :twisted: Hope we can go back out there next year to do the whole deal.

Back