View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #1151
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Mistas first drum had one sorta like that. I would insure you can maintain 24" from expanded metal to lower grate. Most important measurment in my opinion.
His was the one I thought of when I saw that small drum. I wouldn't have thought about making a charcoal box out of a smaller drum if I hadn't seen the picture of his.

I am only going to have one cooking grate in this one. To keep it at 24" I have to keep the grate at 5" below the top of the drum. That is one reason I didn't weld the box together. I still haven't made my mind up on it yet. I left a 2" gap between the ash pan and the grate so the coal grate is 4 1/2 " from the bottom of the drum. I am still thinking of not using an ash pan to get more room at the top for the cooking grate. I don't mind scooping or dumping the ashes out.
It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote