View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 AM   #495
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
(No offense to the little brethren and sisteren)

I cook on Big Mista's team and his UDS kicks booty. But I can't use it. I'm too short to reach my stubby little arms all the way to the bottom to lift out the firebox without sticking my head into the thing and looking like a chimneysweep when I came out.

If I were to make a mod, I'd cut around the circumference of the drum just above the firebox so I can lift the cooking section off, like on a WSM.

Can anyone suggest a way to cut clean and "square" around an empty, flexy drum, then figure out a good way to flange the new joint so it's not all leaky?
Prof. Salt- When I was experimenting with my first drum, I took an extra one I had and cut it below the ribs, so I had a ring that I could slide into the top of a 35" barrel (like a rotisserie ring), figuring I needed the extra space for more racks, but when I put the drum on the dolly I needed a step stool to work with it, so I scrapped that idea (I'm 6' 2") I since found two 38" drums and have 2 racks in them if I need quantity.

But if you had 2 drums, you could hack them up and do a pseudo WSM/UDS hybrid. Use a cut off wheel or better yet a Plasma if you have access.
You could also put a bail or handle on the charcoal ring, I use a "wiggle rod" to shake the coal basket on long cooks-especially if I use lump.

I toyed with the idea of doing a mini UDS with a 15 gallon drum and using an ECB or Smokey Joe for a lid.

I'm going to do my first comp and will use my Drums and a WSM, but I feel more confident using the UDS.

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote