Tuning plates for the Hondo/Black Diamond

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend modify his Black Diamond. I'v downloaded and read the mod files. What's the verdict on tuning plates? Is it worth the effort?

Mark
Tuning plates will get you more usable grate space, it is worth it.
Jim

Jims right, plates always make things better in horizontal pits, but

in the small BD or hondo, no way.. if its the 16 inch pit like a silver smoker. Even if it is the 20inch, it has the opening to the firebox high up in the chamber.

99204800.jpg

The plates, in order to be effective needs the heat to get underneath, In the BD, the height required to allow enuf airflow would put the plates very close to the grate and as soon as they are hot enuf, will start grilling the food.

I have pictures of an extended baffle that helps distribute the heat.. Did u see those plans??

Attachments

• hondo baffle.JPG
    hondo baffle.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,062
Sux our old pics are gone, Hankster did a diffuser plate for a small diameter smoker that he claimed worked real well. As best I remember, it was a piece of sheet metal that was about 4" wider than it needed to be with holes cut near the edge at gradually closer intervals as you moved away from the firebox. The extra width was then folded over leaving half circle holes along the edges of the now correct width plate.
The folds gave it rigidity.

Tough to describe, but I tried. I also sent Hankster a PM, on the off chance he'd still have the pix.

kcquer said:
Sux our old pics are gone, Hankster did a diffuser plate for a small diameter smoker that he claimed worked real well. As best I remember, it was a piece of sheet metal that was about 4" wider than it needed to be with holes cut near the edge at gradually closer intervals as you moved away from the firebox. The extra width was then folded over leaving half circle holes along the edges of the now correct width plate.
The folds gave it rigidity.

Tough to describe, but I tried. I also sent Hankster a PM, on the off chance he'd still have the pix.

I remember that as well. Looked like some nice work and functional as well.

i have the entire archive from the old site loaded on my system.. i will dig thru.

Edit.. ?? This them?

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • baffle_777.jpg
    baffle_777.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,060
  • baffle__small_.jpg
    baffle__small_.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • baffle_262.jpg
    baffle_262.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • baffle_138.jpg
    baffle_138.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,062
I did this on my chargriller. It did help reduce the "hot spot" effect. would have been better with heavier gauge metal and some additional tuning plates.

Attachments

• Heat Deflector.jpg
    Heat Deflector.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,014

Attachments

• smoker_001.jpg
    smoker_001.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • smoker_003.jpg
    smoker_003.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • smoker_004.jpg
    smoker_004.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1,065
Pictures ARE worth 1K words. Thanks guys. As usual, I will assimilate, integrate and regurgitate something based upon the materials on hand: 1/8" aluminum plate. I also have some thinner stainless steel sheet to make an inner shell for insulating the firebox.

Back