What to do with this cut of meat

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was at Sam's Club, and saw a Beef Round Sirloin tip COV. The $/# was very reasonable. What would be the best way to cook this cut of meat. TIA.

That will roast ok but not great, and it definitely won't low n slow, no fat no collagen, except the little strip in the middle.
Marinate the heck out of it, run it at a regular 350 or so to a med rare mid 130s, rest it or even chill it and slice wicked thin across the grain for some good sandwiches. Thats a plan.

A sirloin beef tip, bound with cord. For best results a sirloin tip either a minimum weight of 5 pounds should be procured. Results are better with larger tips up to 10 pounds. Black pepper Crushed garlic corns Worcestershire sauce.

1. Completely thaw the sirloin tip.

2. Crush several garlic corns thoroughly. Add equal parts of salt and black pepper. Make a "slurry" adding Worcestershire sauce. Make 5-6 tablespoons of the slurry for a 5 pound tip. Increase as required for a larger tip.

With a sharp knife make several deep vertical incisions in the tip, just large enough to be opened up with a finger. With a small teaspoon place some slurry in the incisions and work down into the meat with a finger. Rub any remaining slurry over the outside of the sirloin tip. Place a meat thermometer in the center of the meat. Place in oven and roast at a temperature of 325 degrees until the thermometer reads "rare", "medium" or "well done" as desired.

I have used this recipe. It comes from cooks.com

Cook it in the smoke at higher heat 325 - 350, hit 145 internal, remove from the heat, tent it with foil for 15 minutes, carve and serve.

If your pit has room do some baked potatoes at the same time, and half the meal is done at one time.

Back