• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

first comp completed

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Update for all who have helped me from this site.

I did my first comp today: Red Neck BBQ in Sikeston Mo. We actually got to walk in chicken with a 6th place. Overall was a finish of 15 out of 30. We beat a couple of local teams who usually compete in Memphis in May, one who was on a grand champ. team in ribs and pork. I guess they had a bad day. Overall I loved the comp, hated the rain and sleet for two days. It was good to beat some of the teams with RV's and tour busses though. Question, and I already know the answer, How do you get a scor of 8 and 9 in appearance and tenderness by 5 judges and a 6 by the other. Could have made the difference between 6th in chicken and getting in the money.

Any way. Thanks to all especially Plowboy Todd, and Big Mista for all the help and guidance.:!: :!: :!: :-D

ps. slamdunkpro

Everyone loved the banner you did for me!! Thanks for the help with that. If they had a banner comp. I would have the grand champ.

Congrats Big Blue !!! Having fun at your first contest is the most important thing... doing well is icing on the cake...

PS - The lowest score is dropped so that judges score did not negatively impact your placing...

Congrats on Your First Comp Brother...Sounds like You had Fun !!

Great way to start competing!
We always think of the folks BELOW us to keep our spirits up :oops:

Like Vinny said--low score is tossed.
You will see a lot worse in the future. Just the nature of the game.

Congrats,

TIM

Congrats. As long as you enjoyed and learned from the experience, you can't ask for much more.

Good job on your first comp! You're hooked now, I'm betting.

You can easily get 8/9s in appearance but have tough meat, which would give completely different scores in tenderness/texture. The 2 scores aren't really related, though the appearance can bias you toward a tenderness/texture score (i.e. if it looks dry).

Congratulations on your first comp! Don't let one judge dampen your spirits, it will happen many times. Just be glad it was just one , it's when it's two that it will kill you! Fun is the real goal!

I think I figured the brisket scores out. Judges one and two gave 7, 5, 5. The later judges were 7, 8, 8 and 7, 8, 9. As I cut the brisket I noticed it getting more and more tough as I went further up. The first two judges got the last two pieces I put in the box so they would have been the tougher ones. Makes sense and I would have probably given myself 6 or lower in taste. It was pretty bad to me so I would hate to get some of the ones below mine. I finally figured out the taste that was wrong. Too much smoke due to the faulty thermometer. It went way too long with wood.

congrats on an excellant showing for your first time out, for some its a long time before getting a call up, your off to great start !! just keep on having FUN... the rest will fall into place

Update for all who have helped me from this site.

I did my first comp today: Red Neck BBQ in Sikeston Mo. We actually got to walk in chicken with a 6th place. Overall was a finish of 15 out of 30. We beat a couple of local teams who usually compete in Memphis in May, one who was on a grand champ. team in ribs and pork. I guess they had a bad day. Overall I loved the comp, hated the rain and sleet for two days. It was good to beat some of the teams with RV's and tour busses though. Question, and I already know the answer, How do you get a scor of 8 and 9 in appearance and tenderness by 5 judges and a 6 by the other. Could have made the difference between 6th in chicken and getting in the money.

Any way. Thanks to all especially Plowboy Todd, and Big Mista for all the help and guidance.:!: :!: :!: :-D

ps. slamdunkpro

Everyone loved the banner you did for me!! Thanks for the help with that. If they had a banner comp. I would have the grand champ.

This has made my day!!! Glad you got your chicken walk, but more importantly, you realized that you can compete with the big boys and enjoyed it.

Don't let the big boys with their big toys intimidate you. WSM's, Kettles, and trash cans can whoop their butts on any given day. It ain't the size of the dog.

Congrats on your Walk as well as doing your first contest.

Way to go Blue! You had fun and you got to walk! Awesome for your first contest. Wait until you do it again and you start bumping into people you recognize from this contest.

Back