• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flat question while in cook 5hrs in 185F? Help

I

ITT 250

so, I'm resisting every temp to tinker with it and just leave it alone. I refilled the smoker, with coals, 250F all day long. It looks good so far. Still no budda jiggle or slide ding in n out like butter.

1.Should I wrap it?

2.leave it alone ( I'd like a nice black bark)

3. Put it in a cooler?

4. Flip it?

It's only a flat, that's why I ask. I'm following the awesome tutorial that comes up when you search. This is my 2nd one. First time it was dry

Thx

Now, this is just my view: I'd have foiled it at 165 or so. The longer it sits at 185 internal at 250 cook temp the more it's going to dry out. However YMMV! Oh, a flat does not jiggle unless its maybe wagyu :mrgreen:

Thx to the tip. I re poked it and its at 160F I foiled it and warped in a blanket, stuck in cooler. Still have to weber going just in case

you need to put it back on now. 160 is when people wrap but they leave it on until 190-205 ish. You are not going to get a jiggly flat so dont wait for that.

I neither cook flats nor foil, but if I were you I'd keep it wrapped in the foil and throw back on the heat until it probes tender.

Thx to the tip. I re poked it and its at 160F I foiled it and warped in a blanket, stuck in cooler. Still have to weber going just in case

Pulled at 160? Afraid you'll be disappointed.
Needs longer time - somewhere between 185-205 will reveal tenderness.

Will do. Thx guys! Man I love this forum, if only everything had this speedy service!

I think if your flat's internal temperature is 160F your need to keep it in the cooker(foil wrapped at this stage) until it's closer to 200F, when it should be tender, then rest it in the cooler.
I usually prep the cooler with hot water, dump the water, then wrap the foiled brisket ina towel I've pre-heated in the clothes dryer. Let it rest for an hour or 2 , at least.
You mentioned Weber - are you using a kettle or a WSM?
The last 2 briskets I did, I let them go to 205F. I had them cooking in a disposable foil pan so I could keep the juice and drizzle it over the sliced brisket when serving.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your cook. It's nice to see another Torontonian on board.
Cheers,
Matt

Wow. Awesome. I put it back in the cooker. I am using a weber kettles with a smokenator. Been 250 on the dome temp all day long, so about 240 grill. I put it back in the cooker. It was only off for about 2 min.

Hey Muskoka, where can I get a whole pack brisket in T.O.?.? 8.2 million people in the Golden Horseshoe and I can find one.

I've heard from a friend in Vaughan that he gets them at Costco, but he may just be getting flats. I'm sure with all the BBQ restaurants starting up in TO, a decent butcher shop will either have packers of various weights, or can get them with a bit of notice. Try Kensingtom Market Or St Lawrence Market. There's someplace in Parkdale too, but the name escapes me.
I moved to Huntsville 10 years ago, but I still work in the city 4 days a week. I got my last 2 8lb briskets from a guy in Gravenhurst. I did both on my 22.5" kettle, and they turned out mighty fine.
Cheers,
Matt

^^^ Like Bandit said ^^^ I would also question the accuracy of the thermometer.

Well Here she is. im not doing flats anymore. I follow th recipes on here and there for whole packers. I tasted great, but was dry. Thankfully when i was in Dallas i got some Cousins Brisket sauce.

Pls Comment as i learn tons from you guys.

untitled-L.jpg

My thermo pen said 180 after 5hrs. I foiled it after the comments of just leaving it on. 165 after 2hrs in foil on the cooker. Total cook time 7hrs.

untitled-3-L.jpg

Smoke ring was awesome

untitled-2-L.jpg

Still tasted great, but dry. Oh well, theres always next time.

Next time if you ever do another flat try adding some beef broth if you foil. Doesn't do much for the bark but in may help it from drying out.

The appearance of the brisket looks great and I'm sure the sauce helped a bit with the dryness. Some cuts are just dryer than others.
The smoke ring looks great - what kind of wood are you using?
I'm a bit confused by your comment that you wrapped at 180F, then you say it read 165F after 2 more hours in the cooker. Something's out of whack - the temp should rise.

Last edited:
The other trip I've seen here on the forum is injecting the brisket with some canola oil to help keep it moist. I haven't tried it, but it's something to consider. Also injecting with beef broth(thanks for the reminder Skidder) is an option.

I did inject it but only with a bit of beef broth. If you go back in the posts, I checked the temp on the grill after 5 hrs, it was 180F on my Thermoworx. I took it off and put it in the cooler and wrapped it. I checked the board again and after reading some more posts, I decided to keep the foil on but put it back on the grill. I left it there for another 2 hrs. It was only 160F. I then put it in the cooler for an hour thinking it will rise. stayed 160F. Unwrapped, and put back on cooker for 10min just to Bark it up a bit.

Well Here she is. im not doing flats anymore. I follow th recipes on here and there for whole packers. I tasted great, but was dry. Thankfully when i was in Dallas i got some Cousins Brisket sauce.

Pls Comment as i learn tons from you guys.

untitled-L.jpg

My thermo pen said 180 after 5hrs. I foiled it after the comments of just leaving it on. 165 after 2hrs in foil on the cooker. Total cook time 7hrs.

untitled-3-L.jpg

Smoke ring was awesome

untitled-2-L.jpg

Still tasted great, but dry. Oh well, theres always next time.

I won't do a flat either. Just not worth the effort. Fortunately, Packers are as common as butts down here in Austin so I don't have to choose.

I eat the fat end of the flat and the point and chop up the thin part of the flat and sauce it for chopped beef. Mostly, the flat goes to the kids and the uninformed at my house.

I do like chopped flat though so if it's dry, just chop it up and sauce it. it will still be better than any other BBQ you will get in your area

The story is as I understand it, undercooking causes more dry briskets than over cooking. Did it probe like butter at 180f internal ?

Bill

Back