• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza on a grill/smoker question

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When you cook a pizza on a cooker what type of stone is recommended?

I was discussing this with my wife the other day and she is all for the idea of making pizza on the cooker but doesn't want me to use her oven stones. I figured y'all would have some good suggestions for this.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what kind of grill you are using...but for the most part if the stone is within a few inches of the heat source, you'll be best off with a heavy duty stone that is at least 1/2 inch thick. The thinner ones designed for the oven often crack when used on a hot grill. As for cooking pizza on a smoker, I just don't see the temps getting hot enough, at least if you want the crust cooked through.

Or, you could build a FrankenWeber like I did and take pizza to a whole new level:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94358

:becky:

Whilst not upto Moose's Frankenweber, I used bog standard housebricks in my Brinkmann charcoal grill, got it upto about 500°F and the pizzas came out pretty good

We have the pampered chef one, too.

I've seen them at Wallyworld

FWIW, some folks don't even bother with a stone (others use metal cooking pans)

I too have the Pampered Chef stone but I don't use it on the Weber charcoal grill. What we do is make about 8" personal pizzas then oil the grill well after it's heated. Next flatten the dough and throw it on direct heat for a minute (you must watch it) then flip and do the same. Then we add sauce,cheese and toppings and throw on indirect till done. Perfect every time. Good luck and don't forget to post a few pics.

I would be very careful using a stone made for the oven in a grill. They have been known to fracture or even explode. There is some good information on this here.

I would recommend getting a stone that is designed for a grill like the Red Sky grilling stone linked above or the Big Green Egg pizza stone.

I have a BGE pizza stone, all this talk lately about pizza is forcing me to actually use it this weekend.

The PC stone is not the best choice for high heat pizza cooking...depending on how much burner power you got (how hot you can get it), consider using firebrick...it is what I use on my LBE pizza cooker and it works great. FB transfers heat differently and retains the heat much better then a PC stone. I also have a Primo pizza stone (similar to a Big Green Egg stone) and it is does alright. You can also use unglazed quarry tile. If you are cooking "American" style pizza, the PC stone will work fine...if you want NY style, Elite NY Style, or Neopolitan, you need more heat and or a different stone...I usually cook the latter styles so FB works best for me at my temps

Indirect heat = not burnt

Pizza is a HOT and fast item to cook for best IMO and yes I have done them low and slow. I am on a quest for the perfect pie and saw the redsky stone posted here with good reviews. Not to mention I got just enough B-day kackle to cover the stone and peel with shipping and 2 kettles in the yard. Also the warnings of stones cracking as the wife would kill me if I did that to hers.

Most wood fired pizza ovens are over 700°+ and can cook in 2 to 3 mins. The stone pulls moisture from the crust to make it crisp w/o burning.

I’ll post my results on the first cook

You could buy a few new fire bricks for about $2 each and lay them on your grate to form a square or herringbone pattern. Cook your pie right on the clean fire bricks. Thats what they do in wood-fired pizza ovens.

3029377890_41371805a3.jpg

i use a slab of granite that was left over from a counter install.

it is heavy and over an inch thick and works like a champ once it gets to temp in my oven. i haven't tried it on the grill as the pizza has been so good inside i haven't found a reason! :p 525F produces a crispy crust and nice finish on the top of the pizza.

look on craigslist for a piece of scrap granite. it will likely be less than a store bought stone and work great (IMHO)....

cheers....

Wow! Lots of great info. I cook on a Texas grill so I can do offset or direct and can get the fire up as hot as I need. I think I'll look at the BGE one or the redsky unless there are others out there that are suggested. I might try the direct grate to see how that is.

Wow! Lots of great info. I cook on a Texas grill so I can do offset or direct and can get the fire up as hot as I need. I think I'll look at the BGE one or the redsky unless there are others out there that are suggested. I might try the direct grate to see how that is.

you will certainly have enough heat on the bottom...the key to any good pizza is heat balance (bottom to top/dome). If your stone is 700 degrees and the temp above the pie is 500, that is going to result in burnt bottoms before the top is done every time, resulting in a gummy skin that is not cooked through. Ideally you want the top heat to be greater then the hearth heat...therein lies the challenge:)

i use a slab of granite that was left over from a counter install.

I am sure it makes a great crust but granite will not absorb the moisture like a sand stone or quarry tile. I have had the same thoughts and as a geologist don't think it will hold up long term to heating and cooling....depending on the mineral compsition that is.

My other option is building an earth oven out of cobb to also bake bread:wink: and it uses fire brick as a base.

Back