Does anyone not have a thermapen?

i have 3, the ok orange and blinding fast blue waterproof.

the other seems to be of the invisible variety, because i haven't seen it since the American Royal. :tsk:

the other seems to be of the invisible variety, because i haven't seen it since the American Royal. :tsk:
Hey....the one I borrowed was returned to Jorge...check his pockets.....
Wait, I borrowed one from Smokin'Cracker....nevermind....unless you still want to check Jorge's pockets....:becky:

2 in the trailer and 1 at home. the HD loves it when I pull it out and show them how fast it works. Had to give one of them the website.

I just have just one, a super accurate black one. I rarely use my nu-temps probes now since I purchased it.

It's not an easy purchase to make but worth every penny to have that kind of accuracy and quick reading at hand. I plan to buy a backup at some point.

...the other seems to be of the invisible variety... :tsk:

I hear that... mines been gone since Harpoon Helps! (not accusing anyone... just sayin...)

It is tough to justify the $, especially right now, BUT I honestly dont see how someone can know if chicken is done by just looking at the skin. We probe every piece to be sure, only takes a sec!

Wife ordered one yesterday for my birthday - she asked - and apparently the ORANGE ones are the fastest and most accurate so she got me on of those :becky:

Can't wait - should be here Friday :-D

It is tough to justify the $, especially right now, BUT I honestly dont see how someone can know if chicken is done by just looking at the skin. We probe every piece to be sure, only takes a sec!

It's not that hard, when the skin is black then I know it's done. haha. Actually it's not that hard. After cooking enough chicken over the years it's just one of those acquired skills that only comes with time and lots of cookouts. I might not know if the meat is 168.2 degrees but I do know when it's done.

But I will add that I have only cooked chicken for a catered gig once, for a friend that I did not charge, so my opinion doesn't count for much. If I cooked for Joe Public then yea I would probably probe at least a few to just be sure. I didn't realize this was in the Catering Forum. (not paying attention mod)

Is it gray or blue, by chance?

I picked one up this year at the Royal, just kidding Poopy. Seriously, I don't have one. Bigmista taught me the ice pick trick so I really don't need one. I'm a look and feel kinda guy. If I need a thermo, I use my Nu-temp or my Taylor.

Last edited:
No Pen

I do not have a pen. I would like to test one, to see how it works.

I do not have a pen. I would like to test one, to see how it works.

Not much to test.

1) flip it open
2) stick in meat
3) 2-3 seconds later read the temp

I have the Highly Visible Superior Yellow Model. Just gave the Annoyingly Neon Green Model for a family member for Christmas. BIL emailed me today wanting to know "where I got that great thermometer I used to temp the turkey at Thanksgiving because he's tired of fooling with this WalMart crap". Probably have to buy another to leave in the comp trailer this year because I keep leaving it in there and need it at the house.

The Thermapen is so well thought-out and made pretty much anybody who lays eyes on it immediately says "I've got to get one of those!"

I am a traditionalist---I use primitive methods and primitive equipment. I have a Chuck Wagon--I have mules--side dishes in dutch ovens and I BBQ with oak wood.
I teach classes on pioneer cooking to grade school children. Somehow a Thermapen and an infrared heat detector do not fit in with my gear. I can see, hear, feel, taste, and smell. I use a thermometer if I am not positively sure that something is safe to eat. If the thermometer takes a couple minutes oh well. But WAIT! Do you read my name on the KCBS TOY? Do you see my name on the top ten? The only place my name is ----on the list of old traditional old school BBQ and dutch oven affectionados. If you want to be on the KCBS top ten---consult the current top ten teams---they probably have a thermapen---maybe 2 or 3. I think I might be the "Odd Man Out"

For me the value of a thermapen is not that it tells you if something is "done." What makes it valuable is that it tells you exactly how done it is within seconds. That may not mean much if you don't cook to exacting standards. But if you do then it may be the best $100 you'll spend. I use mine for lots of stuff, including beer brewing where I have to know the temp of my strike water to within 2-4 degrees and the temp of the mash. My wife also loves the thing. It was hard to pull the trigger, but now that I have I'm glad I did!

I have a super fast red one, I am looking to buy another just for comps, splashproof would be nice.
I use it in the house all of the time to make sure temp is correct in water for yeast and even for frying oil when I cook fish.
Most meats I go by feel, except chicken and very thick steaks.
Awesome tool and yes the HD was impressed when I told them that is what I use.

I don't have one, just to be contrary. I've been using Huberts, readings in 3sec, accurate , field recalibratable, and waterproof and dishwasher safe all for $30.89. batt included.

Yea me neither. I'm here talkin trash saying I know when my chicken is done acting like I'm tuff stuff. Got a yellow one. I'm a sucker for a sale.

Yea me neither. I'm here talkin trash saying I know when my chicken is done acting like I'm tuff stuff. Got a yellow one. I'm a sucker for a sale.

I'm so sorry to hear that you got a yellow one. I heard that the ORANGE on is the fastest, most accurate color - and that chicks dig it more :)

sale got me also, can't have to many. The fella with the Hubert, you have the fastest one in the world. I have 2 and they take 15 to 25 seconds to give a read.. Don't let Thermapen find out.

Back