Comp chicken attempt ....

Smokin Dawg77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My 1st go at a comp chicken trim an cook. Pulled an scalped skin (tore hole only in 1 !) Was ok with it being 1st real shot at a comp style trim

Last edited:
Try and make the pieces the same size.

^^^This

In order to do that, you may have to cut back the knuckle and square things up. Or you can trim 3x the amount you need to cook to find some of equal size. By that, I mean, buy several packs and separate them by size.

Yea going to try knuckle trim next go round , plus going do more than just one pack. Trying get same size with only 1 pack bout impossible.

I go to a store and request thighs of a certain size, they go through their cases. I get 18 of very similar size by weight. By the time you cook them they vary some but it gets me closer to similar size and I don't have to eat too many of off sizes :) I target thighs from 4 to 5 ounces each

I go to a store and request thighs of a certain size, they go through their cases. I get 18 of very similar size by weight. By the time you cook them they vary some but it gets me closer to similar size and I don't have to eat too many of off sizes :) I target thighs from 4 to 5 ounces each

^^^This right here. I have a small store that gets locally raised and butchered chickens and I buy the thighs in a 5 lb package (usually 15-16 thighs). If you tell him you want the thighs for competition they will make sure they are all very comparable size before they package. Last comp 1 thigh precook didn't make the cut...post cook I had 10-12 very similar to choose from. Never hurts to ask!!

Good job on your first go round. Yes agree with akoda above. At a minimum make sure when you buy them the packs have generally same sized thighs. I buy packs of 4-6 thighs for this reason (instead of the huge packs). Slightly more expensive but I can control the sizing easier

Back