• Top Only

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Just a dry rub

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've heard that some people on rub the top side of their ribs. I was curious about sauce. Do you put the sauce on both sides of the ribs, just the top or turn in a dry rub rib?

We sauce the bottom side only once and the top twice. I don't like flipping them around much so we only sauce the bottoms when we are pulling them out of the foil.

Jason

I sauce and rub both sides.. pay a little less attention to the bottoms though. Jst quick dashs and brushes.

I think it all stems back to years ago, when watching emeril and he was seasoning both sides of something, he said,

"I hate one sided tasting food."

thats stuck and now I feel guilty when I ignore the bottoms. i even put rub on the fat caps of butts and briskets and I know some people ignore them too.

Ribs were meant to be eaten with the sauce on the side.

I never really thought about saucing the bottom side. However, I think I am goign to start.

My logic is that most people bite a rib with the curve going up. You have to get the judges attention on the first bite. So why have all of the flavor stuff on the top if the judges tongue is on the bottom?

Ribs were meant to be eaten with the sauce on the side.

If the sauce is on the side, how do you get sauce in the middle of the rib?

I'm a both on this one.
Rub and sauce.
Just not much on the bone side.
Sometimes no sauce at all.
Can I change my vote?

Yes. As soon as you figure out what it is...

My logic is that most people bite a rib with the curve going up. You have to get the judges attention on the first bite. So why have all of the flavor stuff on the top if the judges tongue is on the bottom?

I think I am broken then, I have the curve down.

We slather, rub, then cook and then put a slight layer of sauce on the tops only (just like the brisket to give it a shiny finish)

I think I am broken then, I have the curve down.

We slather, rub, then cook and then put a slight layer of sauce on the tops only (just like the brisket to give it a shiny finish)

So when you eat your rib, it looks like a smile instead of a frown? Weird, man...

Sauce and rub both sides. A wise man once told me (Jamee from Natural Born Grillers): You'll never win a KCBS without sauce.

I agree with this one... you only have a few seconds to WOW the judges taste buds. And where are the taste buds... on the tongue. So if the sauce is on the top of the rib, and almost everyone eats their ribs with the curve up, how are you going to get that taste to the tongue in the first few seconds???

But don't over due it... too much sauce, and they think you are covering up something....

Bill

We rub and sauce both sides. But have paid less attention to saucing the backside.

Sauce on ribs is evil and wrong.

Evil and wrong I said.

Back