1st timer getting ready

S

Smokeneyes

All,
I was wondering is 1/2 rack of ribs the "norm" for competition? Our firehouse is going into our 1st try and we can't get a good answer on how much to give the judges. Thanks -------Bill

Well I have done 4 to 6 whole racks to build a box , dependng on the number of judges at the tables that will judge your turn ins. If there are 6 judges I usually do 8 ribs with a good amount of meat on both sides of the rib bone.

KCBS? Obviously a minimum of 6, but if you have more to fill the box, AND they are great quality, put them in there too. I've used from 6 to 10+ with good results.

Last edited:
Dont forget your greens!!!! you really have a 4 rack minimum as far as spare ribs!!!trust me one rack may have crooked bones, etc..!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Last I hear KCBS went garnish optional , I dont do art just BBQ LOL!!!

I'd recommend at least 4 racks. You never know which will be the magical rack which magically tastes/looks better than the other 3 even though they were all cooked the same.

Looks like folks are answering two different questions.
So to answer what I think you asked:
In general, I would turn in as many ribs as you can that are top quality. Meaning, don't turn in a full slab just because you can get it to fit. You want the best ribs getting to the judges. If all the ribs are of equal quality, turn in as many as you can get in the box. It gives each of the judges a choice...(vs. the last judge taking the last rib) and leaves the table capt./volunteers some also -- and they all covet the ribs. However, if you only have 6 good ribs - only turn in 6. dont send one in that is too tough, or overdone just to fill the box.

Having said that - alot will depend on what you turn in: Babybacks, Spares, or St. louis Cut spares. I typically try to turn in 8-10 ribs, and I use St. louis cut spares.
ribs2.JPG

ribs1.JPG

Andy, you're not the one to answer how many ribs in a box! LOL! You can't count past five! :twisted: :lol:

Back