View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #6918
Mike W
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunski View Post
@ mikeW
I see your concept and i really like it.
I have couple of questions:

1. how many inches from the bottom for the 1st rack?
2. What are the sizes of the bolts between the racks?

thanks for your information

brunski...

1. Good question? I only know its 14 inches from the top. It's probably about 12 in from the fire. This doesn't stress me. My fire always burrows down into the middle of the coal. When I open my lid there is not a fire burning on the top coal. It’s like a soft ball size of fire in the middle of 10 inches of Royal Oak Lump. This may be due to the top layer of coal doused with drippings or my stoker fan blowing at the bottom of the basket and the fire is chasing the oxygen down to the middle of the coal. Either way if you maintain your heat correctly you'll get pretty even burns top or bottom rack. Example if you adjust your intake so the probe on your bottom rack is at 250 you’ll be at about 230 on the top rack. Heat rises but the bottom rack is closer to the fire so it’s a bit of a wash. Now if you adjust your intake so that your probe on your top rack is at 240 your bottom rack will be at 280+. Ok now I’m rambling.
2. The bolts are 7 in by ½ in. Steel bolts. Once mounted they will place the racks about 6.5 inches apart.
Thanks for inquiring!