Pit barrel, Gateway or build a UDS?

So if the drum has wheels then its safe?

I've watched plenty of videos of drums with wheels or stands on wooden decks with no issues. You should be fine. You can always put some type of bbq mat underneath it just in case.

I might get flack, but I genuinely don't like my PBC very much. I find it's far less "set it and forget it" than advertised where I live with nearly ALWAYS a decent amount of wind. Problem is, there really isn't too much controls to adjust so aside from working the lid on and off in small doses, you're out of options if your cook runs long (like, 50% longer than usual sometimes).

I think it's the PERFECT thing for somebody who doesn't really want to learn and occasionally (like once a month) might want to smoke some ribs on a nice sunday or something, but seasoned cooks who have learned control with their fire and cookers might be frustrated.

There's NOTHING a PBC can do that a UDS can't - and the UDS can do a LOT more of what you want it to do than a PBC.

I would agree after using a Pit Barrel Jr for a year. I was in a toy hauler and bought it so I'd have a smoker that didn't take up much space. It works pretty good, but I find the flavor to be much better on my new Hunsaker. Maybe I was doing something wrong with the PBC jr, but I find I don't like the flavor of fat dripping on hot coals anymore. Also heat control is a pain if your in wind -- which in the southwest is always.

I built a uds. You can make them great if you take your time. They also cook as nice as anything you buy. Better sometimes as you can make them custom. For a uds her are some things to think of. Get a food safe drum. Spend a few bucks and take it someplace and get it sand blasted. That will save you time and a lot of work. I just used bbq paint on mine but you can also get it powder coated. That will add a few bucks to your build but it will look great. I have seen the gateway drum. They are nice but at the end of the day it's a well put together uds. You can make your uds with gas vales and one inch pipe extensions. Put a three or four inch exhaust on it with a ball valve it will work great. I just put in 4 3/4 pipe extensions for my stacks. To build the fire basket I just used an old charcoal bbq with some expanded steel. Some people have said mine looks like I bought it at a store. They honestly work great for cooking. Trick it out by adding a pitmaster IQ to help control the temp.

This is the grand daddy of all UDS threads.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

I used this to build mine. The guy goes step by step, and shows you what to do. There are a lot of pages, but there is a lot of info in there with input from other guys. Keep scrolling through the pages, as Norcoredneck continues his build, he repeats the previous steps. So you have to got through a lot of pages before you get to the end of his build. There are some alternatives to welding, which I used on mine cuz I don't weld. It's best if you get an unlined drum...preferably new (unused). But if you can only find a used drum make sure it is unlined and didn't contain toxic chemicals in it. Guys say you can burn out whatever chemicals were in it, but I'd rather not take the chance. I got a closed head drum like the one in the build, and cut the top out (like opening a can of soup) with a jigsaw. A 22.5" weber kettle lid fits perfectly on a 55 gal closed head drum, not on an open head drum.

Here is what mine came out like:
6110425107_e01bc5f943_z.jpg
6110425881_ea0341afa6_z.jpg

The biggest pain in the butt was sanding off all the paint.

Last edited:
Build one,,,,, then brag on your creation. I have loved my homemade UDS from day one. Gonna use it at a comp next week.

Arrgh, thought I was in the search bar. My apologies to fellow brethren, and beg the Mods forgiveness.
Haven't posted in a while, and I'm out of the groove.

Im thinking about going for the Gateway drum smoker after considering the cost of building a drum from scratch. Since we don`t have any of these parts here in Norway I would have to order from the states or other countries. So all in all the lowest price I have found included shipping and tax + parts would be around $850 and then I have to build the thing. Its also hard to find the drums new but old rusty ones is easier but it would need a lot of work with rust,dent,paint++++.

Is there somthing to think about before getting the Gateway?

Glad you worked out a solution! The only thing that I can think of before you use the gateway, would be to find a mat that will shield your deck from grease splatter if you keep it there. I have dripped and splattered on my deck in the past, so it would be helpful to protect from grease stains.

Good to know.

What about rust? Will it be a problem with rust? I have read that drums easily can rust because of moist ++++. Is this a known problem?

Yes, the drums are very thin metal and anywhere the paint gets scratched, it can rust pretty easy if you leave it outdoors. I keep mine in a shed, so no worries. If you can keep it in a garage or covered should be fine. Otherwise just touch up any scratches with high heat bbq or engine spray paint.

Mine would stay outside but with a cover. Is that good enough? I really don’t want to get one if if it’s that fragile. Would be great to know before purchasing one.

Not "fragile"- but it is mild steel. If your car gets scratched, it will rust too. A cover will be fine.

Every year or so, you might want to wipe it down, scuff it up some and lay down a new coat of spray paint- just to keep it looking good.

So it’s only the exterior of the smoker or is it also the inside?
The humidity can be high here in the North.

If I would get rust in the smoker, is it easy to fix? It is just surface rust and no damage to the smoker itself?

Hunsaker offers a stainless steel drum which should not rust. They are pricey though.

I went with gateway and bought one today online.
Looking forward to try it out next week:)

So it’s only the exterior of the smoker or is it also the inside?
The humidity can be high here in the North.

If I would get rust in the smoker, is it easy to fix? It is just surface rust and no damage to the smoker itself?

Before your initial cook, season it by wiping down the interior with any high heat cooking oil (vegetable, avocado, canola, etc.) and burn coals in it at 350 to 400 degrees F. This will give you an initial protective coating to prevent rust. As you cook on it, the grease and oils from the meats will continue to layer on a seasoning that will give you further protection.

Also, if you store it outside covered, you still want to keep the base of it raised off the ground. Place a couple of 2X4’s underneath it. The bottom is closest to the heat source, and over time the heat will take its toll on the metal. If the bottom gets rusted, it will disintegrate quickly.

But for the most part, keep the exterior covered, touch up any scratches, store it raised off the ground and you should be fine.

Have fun with it!

Before your initial cook, season it by wiping down the interior with any high heat cooking oil (vegetable, avocado, canola, etc.) and burn coals in it at 350 to 400 degrees F. This will give you an initial protective coating to prevent rust. As you cook on it, the grease and oils from the meats will continue to layer on a seasoning that will give you further protection.

Also, if you store it outside covered, you still want to keep the base of it raised off the ground. Place a couple of 2X4’s underneath it. The bottom is closest to the heat source, and over time the heat will take its toll on the metal. If the bottom gets rusted, it will disintegrate quickly.

But for the most part, keep the exterior covered, touch up any scratches, store it raised off the ground and you should be fine.

Have fun with it!

The gateway has wheels so the base will be raised from the ground.
I did not understand why I need to have the wood underneath the bottom.
It will be kept in a shed in the winter but spring,summer and fall it will stay on the deck.
Was that what you meant with rust coming up from underneath?

Last edited:
The gateway has wheels so the base will be raised from the ground.
I did not understand why I need to have the wood underneath the bottom.
It will be kept in a shed in the winter but spring,summer and fall it will stay on the deck.
Was that what you meant with rust coming up from underneath?

He's saying if the bottom of the drum sits directly on the ground or a solid surface for long periods of time, then it is prone to rust.

Back