Rib help

MIZZOUBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So i have this problem where my ribs dry up and when i try to cut them every thing just shreds really angers me. It does not happen with every cook but has been lately so i cut the cook time down and cut way back on rub today same results ribs tasted great just a little dry and a pain to cut up. My process is rub with EVOO then apply rub on WSM @ 225-250 water pan full of water. Spray with AJ after 2 hours on then every hour pull when meat pulls away from bone. I wrap sometimes but not today. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or had same thing happen to them. TIA

Raise the temp to about 275. Cooking ribs at too low a temp will dry them out. Too high a temp will make them greasy. I cooked a rack of BBs this morning at 275 and had them tonight for dinner. They were perfect.

Now, stand by for about 100 more conflicting suggestions.

So i have this problem where my ribs dry up and when i try to cut them every thing just shreds really angers me. It does not happen with every cook but has been lately so i cut the cook time down and cut way back on rub today same results ribs tasted great just a little dry and a pain to cut up. My process is rub with EVOO then apply rub on WSM @ 225-250 water pan full of water. Spray with AJ after 2 hours on then every hour pull when meat pulls away from bone. I wrap sometimes but not today. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or had same thing happen to them. TIA

Over cooking, mix the AJ with vegtable oil 50/50 mix.

Raise the temp to about 275. Cooking ribs at too low a temp will dry them out. Too high a temp will make them greasy. I cooked a rack of BBs this morning at 275 and had them tonight for dinner. They were perfect.

Now, stand by for about 100 more conflicting suggestions.
This, and stop spraying. Keep the lid closed, every time you open the lid, you are letting out the heat.

Cook hotter for less time and quite sspraying. I leave the membrane on makes for area ally moist rib. By cooking hotter it cooks off.

Cook about 275. Don't open the lid for 2 hours. The rub should be hard (won't easily scratch off with your fingernail). When the ribs develop a nice color (it could be at 2 hours), wrap in foil with a little fluid. I use about 3oz of Peach Nectar but it is not critical what you use. Just put some fluid in the foil. Wrap up good and check them 30 minutes later. They are done when a toothpick easily slides between the bones. My ribs typically take 2 hours and 45 minutes or so at 275.

Martyleach has some good points. How long are you Resting the ribs? are you placing them in foil and in a cooler?

Best of luck

THey've said above and all are correct:

* You're cooking ribs too low; look to 275 or so
* Dont rub too soon (salt can kinda cure them)
* Dont have to spritz, keep the lid closed

Also, are the ribs "enhanced"? This can cause or contribute to this.

I definitely agree with Martyleach. I used the same exact thing yesterday. Check out my post "It's been a long time but GSO BBQ is back!" I have some pics on how mine came out. Plus I used absolutely no EVOO.

They are overcooked period. I know this will ruffle some feathers of the hot and fast cooks, but ribs can be done just as well at 230-50*, without drying out. It just takes longer to cook them.

I also like to cook at 275* for ribs, it gives a little better bone release.

Back