Pork Loin - 3 Ways (long and pic heavy)

OcalaScott

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Pork loin was on sale so my wife picked one up. We decided since it was so big, we could try a couple different seasonings and see which one we liked the best. I cooked it using the method described in Bill’s (TK Method) Pork Loin that is in the recipe section here. Here are all the ingredients except for the fresh lemon juice (from my neighbors lemon tree) that I used. The lemon juice was only used with the lemon pepper seasoning. I used 7-Up for the liquid on the other two. The middle one is “Magic Dust”.

DSCF6134.jpg

Cut the loin into 3 pieces, had a nice fat cap.

DSCF6137.jpg

I used 1 oz of dry rub and pulverized it in the coffee grinder and then added it to the liquid.

DSCF6139.jpg

I have never used the marinating attachment on the Foodsaver so I thought I would give it a try. Placed the marinade in the special container, added 1 chunk of Loin and ran the marinating cycle, flipped the meat and then ran the cycle again. After taking the meat out of the container, put it in a gallon ziplock and added the marinade to rest for the night. I did this for each of the three rub/marinades.

DSCF6141.jpg

The next morning, took them out and rubbed them with un-pulverized rub.

DSCF6142.jpg

Then onto the UDS that was at 225 F. I have a water pan directly above the coals so I filled it and threw on some Hickory and Apple for the smoke.

DSCF6143.jpg

6 hours later, 225 the whole time, the internal temp was at 160. I foiled them and back on they went. I added about a half cup of water to each foil pack and then sealed it up.

DSCF6144.jpg

At 8 ½ hours, the internal temp was at 190 so I pulled them off and into the cooler for a rest. Rested them for 2 hours, internal temp down to 170.

DSCF6147.jpg

DSCF6149.jpg

Oh, I forgot, I stuffed 1 link of hot Italian sausage into each piece. You can see it in the two on the right after I sliced a piece off.

DSCF6151.jpg

Took half a piece of each for me for the test.

DSCF6152.jpg

After cooking for so long, it was moist, not gushing wet when cut, in fact it didn’t really get the cutting board wet, but it was tender and moist like most pulled pork. I added a little of the pan juice from each one and that made it a little more flavorful.

It was hard to cut because it wanted to pull rather than slice, so we pulled the rest for leftovers. Added a little of the juice to the meat for storage.

As far as the taste, I liked the Magic Dust the best. It had more of a nice seasoned taste. The Kick’n Chicken was next then the lemon pepper. I couldn’t taste any lemon at all, even though I used pure fresh squeezed lemon juice for the marinade.

Scott

Nice comparative cook, Scott. What did you think about the Foodsaver approach? Think it helped more than injecting the same solution?? Could you tell you marinated or did the dry rub take over? Like the Italian sausage - sure that added an extra dimension.

Looking great Scott!

Yes, for this method an extremely sharp knife, or electric knife, work best and the slices need to be around 1" think to remain "slice" form.

They'll be a little easier to slice as they cool down, but I have pulled them too.

I haven't stuffed in a while, but your post makes me want to again!

Nice comparative cook, Scott. What did you think about the Foodsaver approach? Think it helped more than injecting the same solution??

I don't really know if the foodsaver method added any flavor, i think it did help with the moisture. I think you could get the same result by just marinating 24 hours. I have never injected, I want to try that next.

Good job! I don't pull stuffed loins, the presentation is too good to mess it up by pulling it. I usually take mine out when they hit 160-165, the rendering of the fat in the suasage helps baste the interior of the Loin and helps it have that really juicy finish.

But hey, that's just how I do it; You did just fine on your own...

...6 hours later, 225 the whole time, the internal temp was at 160. I foiled them and back on they went. I added about a half cup of water to each foil pack and then sealed it up.

At 8 ½ hours, the internal temp was at 190 so I pulled them off and into the cooler for a rest. Rested them for 2 hours, internal temp down to 170.

Scott

Great looking report and results. For me, I'd never take loin that high, it would be shoe leather for me, there's just no internal fat to keep them moist. I would have left it out at the 160 temp (I actually do my loins more in the 145-155 range).

Russ

Is the Magic Dust Rub the 17th Street recipe?

Mike Mills Magic Dust

Prepare The Rub
Mix up a 1/4 batch of "Magic Dust" from the book Peace, Love, and Barbecue by Mike Mills.
Magic Dust

2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough rub for 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs.

Back