Let's Talk Efficiency Tips & Tricks For Setup

I love those checkerboard floors! I think I am going to eventually have to do that!

:twisted:

That's coming back, had some leftover beer I had to put into hold luggage...

Hi Beth,

I also have a 6' x 12' Haulmark. Is there anyway you can post some pics of your set up? It sounds like you have it very dialed in.

Sure can! It's loaded right now with both of my cookers, so you can't see much, but I can snag a few tomorrow in the light. We're cooking St. Patty's Day weekend in Pensacola, so I can get pictures of the whole set up then too.

Please keep in mind this was mid-cook, so it's slightly dirty/disorganized. This layout has been amazing for us in the small space.

20180317_081228.jpg
20180317_081233.jpg
20180317_081240.jpg
20180317_081247.jpg
20180317_081251.jpg
20180317_081242.jpg

rotated pictures

Here are pictures rotated

Attachments

• 20180317_081251.jpg
    20180317_081251.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 20180317_081242.jpg
    20180317_081242.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 20180317_081240.jpg
    20180317_081240.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 20180317_081233.jpg
    20180317_081233.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 20180317_081228.jpg
    20180317_081228.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 274
For me, the most important thing is not to over pack. I cleaned out the van of unused, unnecessary stuff last night. Stuff just accumulates. I used cheap Walmart plastic drawer sets in my 7 x 16, bungee cords to keep the drawers closed and to secure to e-track. Still have my portable sink with water heater, but it hasn't been used for years and years. Carried 2 5 gallon bladders of water for clean up and bottled water for drinking. Never do dishes at a contest, except for knives. Go disposable wherever possible. I could setup or take down in 30 minutes back then.

With the van and a pull behind cooker that time is about 15 minutes. I really try to clean as I go and stow things back where they belong after use.

I just ordered the Streamline folding bunks here http://busrvparts.com/bunks-fold_away.htm. I was going to build some bunks myself, but after being accused of nickel and diming, this was just easier. Haha
$270+$35 for custom sizing (76" bunk is too short for my comfort)+$70 or less for shipping. I'm getting a king size 4" memory foam mattress topper and cutting it in half for the two mattresses. Estimated total cost will be less than $500. Good video of the folding bunks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiN_vVOy-mg

Where did the bunk beds come from ??

I got mine used on a BBQ sale site on FB. You can order online, but shipping is a beast.

Thank you for flipping the pics btw. I did it on my phone, and I couldn't figure out how to get them flipped.

The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.

In KCBS you have to have 3 wash 'tubs'. Is that not a requirement when you compete? I find there is much down time after prep and after turn in to clean a few knives and pans.

In KCBS you have to have 3 wash 'tubs'. Is that not a requirement when you compete? I find there is much down time after prep and after turn in to clean a few knives and pans.

KCBS does not require 3 tubs. We have never been asked about it, nor have we had it.

The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.

For hands, we use a large amount of nitrile gloves. We buy them by the case every 3-4 comps.

Table sanitation, we bought some table covers that we use, so after prep, we just take it off, and have a clean table. Then, we recover them for the cook the next day.

Knives and utensils, we bring enough that we don't have to reuse them. I then put them all the dishes in a 5 gallon bucket and clean them at home.

For hands, we use a large amount of nitrile gloves. We buy them by the case every 3-4 comps.

Table sanitation, we bought some table covers that we use, so after prep, we just take it off, and have a clean table. Then, we recover them for the cook the next day.

Knives and utensils, we bring enough that we don't have to reuse them. I then put them all the dishes in a 5 gallon bucket and clean them at home.

We do something similar to this. Cover the tables during injection/prep, cover again when you know things will get messy. Lots of nitrile gloves and lots of foil. Knives, tweezers, racks, jars, etc. go into a bus tub that then goes into a garbage bag; wash all the dishes at home. Most can be run through the dishwasher the next day. I can fit all I need into/onto a Corolla - including a UDS and a WSM. My goal is to bring as little as absolutely possible. I even go so far as to sort through wood chunks a couple days before - I label each chunk for when it needs to be used and what it is (AU = apple/UDS, AW = apple/WSM). No sense in bringing it all along.

We do something similar to this. Cover the tables during injection/prep, cover again when you know things will get messy. Lots of nitrile gloves and lots of foil. Knives, tweezers, racks, jars, etc. go into a bus tub that then goes into a garbage bag; wash all the dishes at home. Most can be run through the dishwasher the next day. I can fit all I need into/onto a Corolla - including a UDS and a WSM. My goal is to bring as little as absolutely possible. I even go so far as to sort through wood chunks a couple days before - I label each chunk for when it needs to be used and what it is (AU = apple/UDS, AW = apple/WSM). No sense in bringing it all along.

That's impressive. Everything in a Corolla? I get how a WSM goes in there, but a UDS? How does that work?

KCBS does not require 3 tubs. We have never been asked about it, nor have we had it.

Rule 17d clearly states 3 wash bins. I have never been to a comp where they do not ask where it is. I am surprised to hear you don't have to do it, but it is a rule.

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the
use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water).
Each contestant will provide a separate container for
washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

Rule 17d clearly states 3 wash bins. I have never been to a comp where they do not ask where it is. I am surprised to hear you don't have to do it, but it is a rule.

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the
use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water).
Each contestant will provide a separate container for
washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

Interesting. While we don't compete as much as some on here, we have done 30 total comps, and I have never been asked about it. Not once. Not at big comps like the Royal, not at small, first time comps either.

Now, for the last year or so we've had a camper, so maybe having running water and such changes it, but before that we didn't and were never asked.

That's impressive. Everything in a Corolla? I get how a WSM goes in there, but a UDS? How does that work?

18.5" WSM nests inside the UDS. I cut the bolts that hold the UDS's grates to just the right amount of clearance. I put those rubber/plastic screw covers on the bolt ends to protect the WSM. A towel goes over where the WSM's lid sits, the lid goes into/on the towel upside down and then the lid closes on the UDS holding the WSM together inside it. Two bags of charcoal, one on each rear floor board. Two big black boxes in the rear seat - one with "outside stuff" (think extension cords, light, smoker supplies), one with foil, gloves, etc. The grates for the smokers go in a heavy duty black garbage bag on the box behind the driver's seat. Fold in half 6 foot table in the trunk first, two coolers on top of that (red cooler has raw meat on the way there and is our "hot box" when we need to rest big meats later; blue cooler is for drinks, injections, etc.), tool box with knives, rubs, etc. goes behind the coolers. Case of beer to the passenger side of the trunk. Change of clothes, toiletries and directions in the passenger seat. Done! Todd from Bark Bros. said it best - "Wow! You run lean and mean!"

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_210903.jpg
    IMG_20170824_210903.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 143
Back