Smoked Bison Ribs

ADJ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Good Afternoon BBQ Brethren

This past Friday I picked up a couple racks of Bison ribs and I'm looking for any helpful hints anyone can offer. I know that Bison is a lean meat so cooking it can be tricky. I'll be slow smoking these beauties on a UDS and I'm thinking about cold smoking them before turning up the heat.

Any help will be great appreciated!

AJ

Never cooked ribs, but have done Bison roasts. Not sure what you mean by cranking the heat, but I would be leery of going to hot. I would say 250 until probe tender. Should be about like cooking beef ribs.

I've never cooked bison ribs, but I have cooked some bison steaks. Bison is VERY lean, and VERY easy to dry out. I learned the hard way my first time.

Just my 2 cents - treat it like venison.

If it were me I would pan them from the start with broth in the pan and cook for couple of hours to take on smoke then cover with foil and continue to cook until probe tender. Then pull ribs off the cooker, dry off the ribs then slather with bacon grease and do a quick sear.

I just did some elk ribs. Put Lowery’s salt on lightly 12 hours before cook. Take out of refrigerator, lightly season while warming up to room temperature get fire going. Smoke until nice color, then wrap, I added one stick of butter, woshtershire sauce, soy sauce. Smoke until tender. Make sure and rest for 15 minutes. They were very good.

Back