Feedback Cards

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We did crappy this weekend at the Hudson Valley Ribfest and I have some suggestions for the KCBS. We were supposed to have comment cards filled out by the judges. We recieved not a single feedback card. On our ribs turn-in we got a 999 and a 343. I am not gonna bash the judges in this post, it's not my style. My gripe is, if I am going to recieve a 343 I would be very interested in finding out why.

After seeing one of the comment cards that another team showed me I can understand why some judges may have opted not to fill them out. The card had a number on it and a few lines on it to fill in a comment. If I was a judge I would have a hard time writing a few sentences about each entry.

I recommend the following system for comment cards. Firstly every judge would fill them out. They are absolutely useless unless someone takes the time to fill them out. Make the cards easier to fill out. Use a check box approach. For instance make check boxes for too salty, too spicey, too bland, overcooked, undercooked etc. so the judge could very quickly check the boxes. While these cards may not help some of the advanced teams it would help the beginners to understand why their entry was given that particular score. It may also help you to understand why you got a 999 and 343 on the same entry.

This would help us decipher our first scores very much. I'm in complete agreement.

I agree 100%, what's the use of comment cards if not every judge is going to use them. The checkbox idea is genius, would make quick work out of filling in a comment card.

We got 2 comment cards both complimenting our first place brisket. While it's nice to receive praise it's not very useful. I was hoping we got a couple comments on our 33rd ribs so we would know what they didn't like about them.

My feelings are that the judges are instructed to fill out the card if they give you scores like that, if they can't finds something else to do at contest, judging is not for them.

Jim
PS as the score cards are collected and looked over at each table, don't give the judge a choice, make them fill out the card.

I think you are all on the right page! I would love to know what goes on in a judges head..999 vs.343 what the ......... lol

Chalk up another agreement. I'd also like to know if the judge was certified or not.

We got 2 comment cards both complimenting our first place brisket. While it's nice to receive praise it's not very useful. I was hoping we got a couple comments on our 33rd ribs so we would know what they didn't like about them.

Were you using the new recipe that you tried at Harpoon or was it the recipe you won a zillion times with?

I think you are all on the right page! I would love to know what goes on in a judges head..999 vs.343 what the ......... lol

That is strange. Were these ribs from the same rack? I could almost understand this on chicken pieces.

We got A comment card in March. Our brisket had "good flavor but tough". We new that, it was obvious. :icon_blush: Still appreciated the single comment we got.

that is an excellent idea

We also only got two and they were both complementary. We also got 9s and 3s. Love the checklist idea...
nancee

We did crappy this weekend at the Hudson Valley Ribfest and I have some suggestions for the KCBS. We were supposed to have comment cards filled out by the judges. We recieved not a single feedback card. On our ribs turn-in we got a 999 and a 343. I am not gonna bash the judges in this post, it's not my style. My gripe is, if I am going to recieve a 343 I would be very interested in finding out why.

After seeing one of the comment cards that another team showed me I can understand why some judges may have opted not to fill them out. The card had a number on it and a few lines on it to fill in a comment. If I was a judge I would have a hard time writing a few sentences about each entry.

I recommend the following system for comment cards. Firstly every judge would fill them out. They are absolutely useless unless someone takes the time to fill them out. Make the cards easier to fill out. Use a check box approach. For instance make check boxes for too salty, too spicey, too bland, overcooked, undercooked etc. so the judge could very quickly check the boxes. While these cards may not help some of the advanced teams it would help the beginners to understand why their entry was given that particular score. It may also help you to understand why you got a 999 and 343 on the same entry.

We got all 7's, 8's and two 9's for our apples-chef choice turn in. Except one judge, who gave it a 3-5-3. That is the judge who should have filled out a comment card.

887 899 877 777 877 353

Was our first 3's ever. Just strange.

Our comment cards were one who praised our ribs. The other was somewhat constructive, saying our brisket wasn't cut exactly perpindicular to the grain. It said besides that, it said the brisket had great taste and moisture.

Last edited:
we got 3s saturday also...same scenario...makes you wonder
I was truly disgusted
kept hearing about a bad table...

Happened to look at the Michigan scores...top 50 ALL above 600...no wonder Mike Davis told us he was glad he didn't cook in the NE!!!
nancee

We got all 7's, 8's and two 9's for our apples-chef choice turn in. Except one judge, who gave it a 3-5-3. That is the judge who should have filled out a comment card.

887 899 877 777 877 353

Was our first 3's ever. Just strange.

I judged this weekend and did not fill out any cards. As for praise that would be a waste of time. The checklist would be great. If we did 1 hour turn in maybe there would be enought time to fill out cards. I really did not understand the spectators watching us judge. It was really annoying. Judging as a spectator sport?

...On our ribs turn-in we got a 999 and a 343. I am not gonna bash the judges in this post, it's not my style. My gripe is, if I am going to recieve a 343 I would be very interested in finding out why...
You should be able to contact a rep at the contest and ask to speak to the judge.

our scores were consistantly chitty across the board so we didnt have the same problem as you guys.
The 2 cards we got back were OK.
The one for our brisket we all agreed with (and the saucy fingerprints were cool).
The one about our ribs we kind of knew but we found some other things we may have overlooked.
They also used these in Lake Placid and the card we got there was useful, but also not very eye opening.
If I had a gotten a 3 I would still be too mad to talk.
If I had a history if winning as much as Nancee or Ted, I would be demanding an explanation.
I think the cards are going to work out but they have some bugs. I would like to see a 4 or lower be justified by a comment. A 3 or lower deserves an explanation. And although I have not received any I would think that the positive cards will work out too.

I judged the Ribfest sitting right next to Sled. Personally did not give a score below a 5. (not counting apples).
On the few select 9's I did give, I filled out a comment card.
Kinda redundant cause a 9 pretty much is a comment unto itself but I figured it would be helpful to elaborate a bit on why.
Woulda done the same on a lower score but fortunately nothing hit my table that warrented such a number, in my opinion.
It was interesting having a bleecher(sp) set up with peeps and others behind a yellow tape viewing all of us as we performed our duties.
First time with the comment cards for me but I tried to be selective with comments: only the highs and lows, if applicable.

I also only got 2 comment cards, really wish we got more. One said our brisket had good flavor but was overcooked, I agree. The other had 9-9-9, love the maple flavor, for one of the few cook offs I've done I didn't use any maple in anything.

I like the cards and wish more judges would use them.

Back