UDS Chicken, Fall Fiasco w/PrOn

StanDaMan79

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Twice a year, our fishing club has a GREAT get together. After 2 years of over cooked tri tips, I offered to cook "Chicken in a Barrel" for the group. This event is what led me to build a UDS barrel, from the info I gleaned from this site. So, I thought I would share the event.

I ordered a case of chicken splits, 32 split minimum. Mine had 36 halves, We served 1/4's so we had 72 servings. I prepped the chicken as I always have, the night before, I rinsed the halves well, dipped them in lemon juice, then applied my rub liberally to both sides. Into the fridge they went, to marinate (?) overnight.

I lit both my old school barrel, and my new" rod modified" UDS with the Minon Method, but I used a full chimney split between both barrels. I wanted to cook at 400-450, as I have always done, (with the old barrel). I let them both get up to temp, and them hung all 40 halves, between the 2 barrels. I used my new remote thermo probe, and joined my 2 assistants in a toast or 3. :shock:

When the chicken temped out, I transferred the birds to a clean ice chest, with a food grade plastic bag inside of it. I like to let the chickec rest and steam, for at least 45 minutes before serving.

The chicken was a big hit, I was very happy with the performance of the new UDS. I put 4 air intakes in mine, but have not needed them . # would of been fine. I ran 2 intakes wide open, and the barrel ran 400, rock steady. Once the chicken was done, I did some Moink Balls for an appetizers. Those were eaten by the group that had gathered for a little pre dinner, chicken tasting, and then vanished before they ever got to the potluck.
Thanks for the detailed UDS directions, and for the Moink Ball recipe, both were a huge success!

Me, on the left, with my crack team. The guy on the far right, was hiding the bottle of Patron....

100_44562_zps65bed849.jpg

The barrels at work

Ready to go

Last edited:
LOVE IT!!! Hey wait a cotton picken second! Something isn't right here...that's not a PBC ;)

Great one mate, what's a bottle of Patron?

It's a brand of Tequila, I had never before sampled. It was responsible for my dis-remembering a good part of what happened after dinner was served. It went down oh so easy....

It's a brand of Tequila, I had never before sampled. It was responsible for my dis-remembering a good part of what happened after dinner was served. It went down oh so easy....

Easy isn't the word...dangerously is more like it. I never found the shot glass.

Back