• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big Butts for a baptism - w/PRON

mn_big_dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Seems like I have been doing butts every couple weeks with all the events going on around here....Bridal shower, baby shower, family gathering and more. This time, it's my 2 daughters getting baptized.

Grabbed a pack of butts from Costco. I prefer the bone-in butts from Sam's, but we recently dropped our membership there because we having been getting everything from Costco since they opened up in town. So, here we go.......

Got a 18.5lb pack of butts......
18-and-half-lbs.jpg

Had the juicer on the counter, so juiced 3 apples and injected the butts....
pure-apple-juice.jpg

Then rubbed them down with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.....
butt-rub.jpg

Here they are injected, rubbed and ready to be wrapped.....
ready-to-be-wrapped.jpg

I ended up tying them this time to make them easier to manage. Wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in the fridge overnight.

Fired up the offset at about noon with standard Kingsford and apple wood. Got her up to 250, put the butts on and let them ride. Been about 5 hours now, haven't popped the lid yet. Will throw up a picture at 6hrs, and some more when they are done.

Last edited:
I was drawn in by the title. Something about baptism and butts? Don't see that everyday.

That's some nice looking butt.

Done........
Done.jpg

Didn't get any pics before I pulled them, but the bark was awesome. I was a little concerned, since the Butt Rub doesn't have sugar in it. But it turned out great.

Wow just done the maths on the price ..... that works out at NZ$4.50 KG for boneless pork... we are paying NZ $7.00/KG for bone in and nearly NZ $10 kg for boned and NZ$ 13/kg for ribs...... Man you yanks are so damn lucky!!!!!! Any body wanna sponsor an immigrant fork truck driver for a greencard?

Regds
Muzza.

Have to say, never thought of tying my shoulders ... might give that a try. They typically hold up pretty well. Great cook!

Man that looks awesome. I've never tried a boneless butt before.

Looks really juicy. Since you didn't have the bone to wiggle, any special tricks to determine when they were done?

Butts look great it's a big day for your family Congratulations!!

Back