Rib Rack Bones up or down

hmbrewr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing some St Louis ribs today. 3 racks in the UDS. My question is, when using a rib rack do you guys place the bone side down or the meaty side? And do you reverse them at any time during the cook?

I've always done meat side up with decent results. Interested to see what other people may suggest

Doing some St Louis ribs today. 3 racks in the UDS. My question is, when using a rib rack do you guys place the bone side down or the meaty side? And do you reverse them at any time during the cook?

I've only used my rib rack twice, but I did the bone ends up. They turned out fine both times. Sounds almost like it doesn't matter.

I smoke them bone side down, and I don't flip them.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm doing them meat side down for 60 mins. and then I'm going to reverse for the rest of the cook. I did a search after I originally posted, and found a bunch of threads on the subject. Seems like it is a matter of choice.

Unless you have other stuff smoking in the UDS, must you use a rib rack? 3 trimmed slabs should easily fit flat on the grate.

I do bone up I sometimes rotate them a hour n half in...

2012-07-28%252010.19.32.jpg

I personally don't flip. They're not a thick cut and for appearance purposes I try not to rest meat on the grates to avoid marks. This is definitely one of those personal preferences kinda thing. DO what works for you bro. Try a couple things and see what you like.

Cheers

Oh and for what it's worth I don't foil either.

Cheers

Meat side up so that juices flow over the thinner portions.

Back