View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #50
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntmeyer View Post
Not looking to spend all the 4k if i can help it, but have permission if I need to :-)

Several folks have posted about humphreys, so looking there now too. Love wsm, just wish it was a cabinet style. Jambo would be great, but can't get a hold of Jamie it seems.

Exploring other gravity fed as well.... Any recommendations or things to look out for? Build quality and such... Brands that are known for issues..?
Humphrey's, BWS, Rebel, Abe's, Backyard Bombers, Assassin, PitMaker and the other 10 I can't think of at the time are all quality cookers that you can purchase. None of them are perfect but all of them will work great. Everyone is going to recommend the one they have because they love it.

You need to call every builder. Ask them questions about your concerns (have a list before you call). You will find some too busy to return your call or emails. This is not acceptable, mark them off your list because you will get the same response if you have an issue later. You will find 90% of them will not discount anything or negotiate on prices or options but don't get annoyed this is the industry norm. You will find that "one" builder that you feel comfortable with more than the others. This will be the one you need to buy as long as the product meets your needs or they can customize it to fit your needs. Take detailed notes of every call. I even made a spreadsheet because I called and emailed so many builders. I was looking for an insulated cabinet smoker and it took me a few months to finally pull the trigger. I spent more than I intended but I feel I am getting exactly what I want and did not compromise on anything. I really don't want to do this twice. The only issue I had was I found 2 builders that were really great to work with and answered their cell phones every time I called (I am a pain but it's my money and I expect the builder to earn it). Everything else being equal I went with the one that negotiated with me. Sorry for the long response but you sounded like you were in the exact same position I was in last year. Good luck with your decision.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->