older Polder, uh-oh

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Some time ago the probe on my Polder digital thermometer stopped working. I found a guy on Amazon who sold a probe which he said was the right one. I got one, and it seemed to work OK at the time. But lately I've been using it to check little stuff in the kitchen and everything was underdone. Today I checked it in boiling water. Uh oh - 252°F, should have read 212°.

I don't think it's possible to calibrate the thing. So now I'm looking for another one. I would like one that uses standard batteries and has as few other features besides reading temps as possible. I don't want a timer, any low or high temp alarms, nothing like that. Just something with a solid well-made probe which is accurate. Cheap would be good but is really a secondary goal.

Any suggestions from the masters?

seattlepitboss

My experience with two Polders was that they worked for a while then the probes died. Now I use my BBQ guru (calibrated perfectly) for both oven roasting and BBQ duties supplemented with a red Thermapen:thumb: Works for me.

The way I understand it, water can get hotter then 212deg. Water BEGINS to boil at 212. If I'm wrong I'm sorry...

I'm no scientist, but I think once it hits 212 it then turns to steam. Steam is hotter than 212, but that's not water anymore.

Could be wrong.

If you're not sure you trust the boil test, try the other extreme. Mix water and ice and see if the thermo says 32d.

Boiling point at sea level is 212F. For approx. every 500 feet of elevation, boiling point drops 1 degree. Where I am (2900ft) water boils at 207.

Back