How the McRib is made...

As a kid I worked at McDonald's back in 1981 when the McRib was introduced. The pre-formed pork patty used to come in frozen and we would heat it up and hold it hot in a vat of BBQ sauce for service. Add pickles and onions, slap it on a bun, and you have culinary Nirvana!

The early 80's was a golden era for McDonalds innovation with Happy Meals in 1979 and Chicken Nuggets coming along in 1983. Both products are still popular more than 30 years later. I think continually bringing back the McRib on a LTO basis is brilliant marketing on their part.

Sadly the McDLT from the same period didn't make it (Keeps the Hot Side Hot and the Cool Side Cool!)

I'm not the biggest McDonald's fan, and I was always skeptical of the McRib. However, after seeing the video, it looks pretty good. If it wasn't for the fact, that I can't stand their bbq sauce, I'd give one a try.

Matt

I'm not the biggest McDonald's fan, and I was always skeptical of the McRib. However, after seeing the video, it looks pretty good. If it wasn't for the fact, that I can't stand their bbq sauce, I'd give one a try.

Matt

You can get it without sauce.

I haven't eaten at a McDonalds in over 20 years.

Strange response....

Maybe I don't like the sauce (I dont)....or the bread (meh take or leave)...or the meat itself (couldnt tell through that horrid sauce)....why would I be banned from eating a brat just cuz I don't like the mcrib? Maybe I prefer sourcing meat through local small farms who raise animals in a manner congruent with their nature (I do) with minimal processing, zero preservatives or additives. Perhaps I don't like fast food in general, and although I can't put a finger on why, it tastes completely innedible after not eating it for a while (true for many I know). Lotsa reasons really...main one is i make better food for my own tastes at my house in under 5 minutes. Like I said though....to each their own! Plenty disagree with me judging by how many of these things are sold.

I'm with ya man.

I very rarely eat lunch meat, never eat spam, rarely eat hot dogs, etc. I do eat bacon, brats, etc but pretty much only from my local butcher shop where they'll let me go and watch them make the stuff if I wanted to.

One of the big things to me is "natural and artificial flavors". I think that stuff fools your body and is the root of all food evil. When I get brats and bacon made by my local butcher shop it mostly contains ingredients that I would put in those items if I made them myself. Sure there is some nitrates in the cured stuff, but in limited quantities it's not gonna be what kills me.

To each their own. McDonalds is horrible for ya, but in limited quantities it won't kill ya. Just not where I choose to spend my calorie overload meals (which are admittedly way too frequent to be skinny!).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-mcdonalds-menu-testing-0124-biz-htmlstory.html

1) So what's in a ChiTown Classic, and can I order it as a hidden menu item in SoCal?
2) Why do we get salads and breakfast bowls out here??? I want mac 'n cheese too !!!!!!!!

*** on edit ***

just saw the ChiTown Classic, looks good!!
burger-chitown.png

Matt

I have a confession. I tell my wife and kids to NEVER speak of this because my barbecue friends might disown me. I happen to really like McDonald's BBQ sauce. We don't eat there much, maybe 5-6 times a year. But when we do, I get the BBQ sauce for my fries.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-mcdonalds-menu-testing-0124-biz-htmlstory.html

1) So what's in a ChiTown Classic, and can I order it as a hidden menu item in SoCal?
2) Why do we get salads and breakfast bowls out here??? I want mac 'n cheese too !!!!!!!!

*** on edit ***

just saw the ChiTown Classic, looks good!!
burger-chitown.png

Well we develop a portfolio of options for each region to choose. The areas management determines what they want to put on the menu and what they don't.

There are also markets that we use purely for testing to see if an item would be successful for a national launch.

The Chicago region decided they wanted a burger contest so it was arranged through them.

I have a confession. I tell my wife and kids to NEVER speak of this because my barbecue friends might disown me. I happen to really like McDonald's BBQ sauce. We don't eat there much, maybe 5-6 times a year. But when we do, I get the BBQ sauce for my fries.

Its ok, only you, me, and everyone on the brethren site know...

I know this was supposed to show that a mcRib aint that bad but that video didn't do anything to make me want one.

I think the shape (and the sauce) is actually the biggest problem for me. I dont like food in funny shapes for some reason. Its like they are trying to hide something. A chicken wing appeals to me more than a nugget. I dont mind ground patties so it must be the funny shapes.

I bet id eat one if it were round instead :crazy:

Important question: if I go to Tulsa, and since the McGriddle will be on the all-day breakfast menu, can I order a Big Mac but replace the bun with the McGriddle pancakes? This could be the deciding factor in a future relocation

Important question: if I go to Tulsa, and since the McGriddle will be on the all-day breakfast menu, can I order a Big Mac but replace the bun with the McGriddle pancakes? This could be the deciding factor in a future relocation

HAHAHA I'm not sure how that would taste but you can give it a shot.

I've never had a McRib, but our school cafeteria had knock-off ones that were pretty damn tasty. Fun to see the video of production, though!

Back