Insurance on Trailer Mounted Smoker

sampson

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm curious about how much, or even if at all, the trailer mounted guys out there insure their rigs for... Do you insure for current value or replacement cost? I'm picking up a used Lang 60 on Thursday and I feel like my insurance guys are kinda selling me a bunch that I don't need.

Great question.
I have no idea what kind is even available, but I would imagine that it depends on what you want to insure.

If you want replacement cost, you'll need to buy insurance that covers that. If you want to insure just the value of your smoker (depreciated) then you'll need to get that type.

My insurance company said it falls under my "umbrella" policy on homeowners insurance. No need for separate insurance (USAA Insurance).

As it was explained to me by my insurance company. The trailer is covered under the tow vehicles insurance while being towed. You can take out a supplemental insurance policy for theft or damages to the trailer while it's "free standing".

Sampson, If you are gonna use the smoker commercially, then it's best to insure it seperatly from your auto. If you're just gonna do benefits and "unpaid" events, then the insurance of your "tow vehicle" should cover it in transit, and your homeowner's insurance should cover it for damage or theft on your property. Something I learned when I was in a traveling retail business...

With my insurance, anything I tow is only covered by my tow vehicles insurance for the damage that it causes. Under no circumstance will my trailer be repaired or replaced unless I add a rider to my policy. If you know or think that your trailer would be repaired I would ask for it in detail and writing.

Chris

More importantly your son wants to know when he will get to eat off the aforementioned lang?

My insurance company said it falls under my "umbrella" policy on homeowners insurance. No need for separate insurance (USAA Insurance).
I was about to post the same thing! You gotta love USAA...

To those of you whose trailers fall under your umbrella policy of your homeowners, does it cover the trailer repairs if you were to get into an accident? I've checked on mine and while it covers me if it gets stolen, it wouldn't cover me in the even of an accident or if something happened while it was away from my property. I'm just curious and not trying to hijack the thread, but sounds like you guys have a better insurance.

Chris

thanks everyone for the help, i just went ahead and made an appointment with our local insurance guy. i'm planning to use it for profit every now and again, so i'll report back as to what he tells me, pron will be included of course...

So is it necessary to get your smoker insured? I know some of you have invested a great deal of money into some of yours a may want to have separate insurance policy. I never gave it much thought until I read this. I'm pretty sure ours is covered by our liability insurance for the business but I will confirm for when we invest into a larger rig. It also makes me wonder if it depends on the purpose of use at the time (personal vs. business).

Back