22.5 OTG Fix up. Before and After pics...

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Scored this guy a few weeks ago on CL for $40. Was used twice but was badly mistreated. Lots of dirt and grime in the bottom of the kettle but nothing a good power wash with some Dawn wouldn't fix.

Original thread is here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156597

Before...

IMG_20130406_121743_495_zps063eaf49.jpg

After...

IMG_20130406_131806_267_zps84715b43.jpg

IMG_20130406_132746_382_zpscda3fa03.jpg

Outside cleaned up really nice. Inside still needs a little elbow grease with a scour pad and some dish soap but it cleaned up a lot better than I thought it would. The grates a pretty much shot so I'm just gonna buy a new set.

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. You have to wonder how someone can trash a cooking grate that fast. :mmph:

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. You have to wonder how someone can trash a cooking grate that fast. :mmph:

Tell me about it. The kettle is a DI marked model. They used it twice between between 2007 and 2013 and whoever used it last left a ton of charred pieces of grease and gunk. Apparently they could fork the money for the OTG model but not the money for a grill brush. The grate is 95% rusted and part of it is flaking off pieces of it. The charcoal grate is rusted completely but isn't flaking so I might rehab it a bit and keep it.

She looks pretty now just gotta put it to good use looks great nice restore

Since you're replacing the grates anyway, you should get the Weber Gourmet system

I've been thinking about it. I might do the full cast iron grate instead. I'm selling some ham radio gear next weekend so I'll have about $100 I can spend. I might buy a standard hinged grate and then spend the leftovers on some new Lodge cast iron. Haven't quite made up my mind yet..

Looks great! I went wit the standard hinged grates when I had to replace mine last summer and haven't regretted it once. Granted, I have always wanted the cast iron ones, but I haven't lost any sleep at all over it.

I did just pick up an Akorn recently that has CI grates. They are not as easy to keep clean as you might think, but I just get in there and clean 'em up any way with some little brushes, and religiously oil them. This makes me wonder if I had two kettles side by side, one CI and the other not, which one would be my go to unit. I have more than one kettle, so I assure you this will be tested at some point, but for now I really see no reason to feel lacking in any way over the standard hinged grate on a kettle, whatsoever.:thumb:

FYI to both the OP and bigabyte. I saw that the Cabela's here in KC carries the Stok CI grates now with a bunch of the inserts. Not sure if STL would have them (you have a Cabela's don't you?) but it is worth checking out. I don't use it as much as I should but the inserts can be handy and the CI is a nice touch too.

Thanks! I will be picking some up then. I am heading out to Cabela's sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow, time permitting) to pick up a camp stove and griddles I ordered, so as long as the CI grates aren't outrageously overpriced they are as good as already sold!:thumb:

Damn colonel...first you sold me on going to Price Chopper for Pork Butts...now this.

You should make your own shopping channel for me to follow or something.:becky:

No problem. PM me with the stove you want. I might have a hook up.

Thanks! I will be picking some up then. I am heading out to Cabela's sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow, time permitting) to pick up a camp stove and griddles I ordered, so as long as the CI grates aren't outrageously overpriced they are as good as already sold!:thumb:

Damn colonel...first you sold me on going to Price Chopper for Pork Butts...now this.

You should make your own shopping channel for me to follow or something.:becky:

Looks like $50 for the grate. I did see that they now have a dutch oven type kettle as an insert now too which is kinda cool.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STOK...cts&Ntt=stok&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

s7_550889_007_01

Well, I picked up the stove today, but the wife and kids were in tow and I was forbidden from shopping. Honestly, I just wanted to get out and go home too, it was a pretty long day day with lots of screaming kids...not the way I want to spend shopping for this sorta stuff.

So.....

I guess I get to go back some other day!:becky:

Nice job:clap:... now cook something and get it dirty again....:biggrin1:

Back