Holding a hog on ice.

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that operate from trailers like me, what do you use to hold a hog on ice until you are ready to prep it? I've tried using a watering trough from Tractor Supply then cover the hog in ice but with no insulation and all the extra room it takes a tom of ice to cover a hog and it melts pretty fast.

For those of you that operate from trailers like me, what do you use to hold a hog on ice until you are ready to prep it? I've tried using a watering trough from Tractor Supply then cover the hog in ice but with no insulation and all the extra room it takes a tom of ice to cover a hog and it melts pretty fast.

I'm guessing the hog is too big for a marine cooler?

coleman optimax 200 qt cooler, has fit the 100-125 lbers i use.

Last edited:

that is what we use down her in the heat of South Carolina...just keep the hog covered in plastic and keep the ice in the bags..takes about 10-12 bags of ice depending on the temp. and keep it in the shade as much as possible

May not work in a professional situation and may be too small, but I use the biggest plastic tote I could find at Home Depot. It holds a 70# pig, but that's probably about as much as will fit in there.

Yea I'm looking for something I can get 150-160lb hogs into. I think it would have to be 300-350qt cooler before you could get it in with ice.

I know this won't help but I've seen teams use body bags (medical examiner cadaver bags). They are fully zippered, waterproof and have a bunch of handles. Granger supply sells them in different sizes.

I use one of these:

http://www.behlencountry.com/index.aspx?ascxid=behlenCatalogProduct&i=17

It is double wall poly with about 1-1/2" air gap so it holds ice much better than a single wall plastic feed/water tub. I made a plywood top with a couple inches of rigid insulation that is held down with rachet strap tiedowns. With the hog and packed with ice I can easily hold a defrosted hog for 48 hours without reloading ice.

When not in use as a hog cooler, I actually use it as a feed bunk for my calves, go figure.

EDIT: I've easily fit a 125# dressed hog (that is as big as my RF will handle) with lots of room to spare, thinking it would hold a 150#-160# easily. I also put a freezer thermometer with a 4" probe thru the top to let me check hold temps.

Back