Back in the saddle.

jman1972

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What's up everyone. My name is Jason and I haven't posted on this forum for several years. I took a break from competition BBQ to get my nursing degree and I am now working full time as a nurse. I am looking to,getting back into competitions. Previously I cooked on WSM then bought a Traeger. September I pulled the trigger on a custom build reverse flow smoker that I will start competing with. I pick it up in just over a week, it's a 250 gallon reverse flow with a warming/rib box or t will also have a 30" diameter pizza oven in the front. I am wondering if anything has changed KCBS wise in the last 3 years. What's scoring high and what's scoring low. Any tips would be great. It's great to be back.

Last edited:
I don't compete much so i'm probably not the best to answer this. I don't think a ton has changed. I did want to say that I dig the pizza oven on the pit idea!

Nothing has really changed. Balanced flavors and perfect tenderness still scores high.

I would say the competition may be more stiff however

Glad to have you back!

Welcome back! I hope that wee run into each other!

As far as what’s changed, if you figure it out, let me know! :-D

The pizza oven I'm sure will be a well used addition. The company that is filling in for me it's called piggyback smokers. They only done a couple pizza ovens. And they haven't done one on this big of a smoker. It'll be a completely separate unit woodfired that I should use a lot. Actually it was my wife's idea because she loves pizzas so. Here is a picture of one of their ovens on the front of 1120 gallon smoker. The one I'm getting is it 250 gallon smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 211
That is very nice. The pizza oven really pushes it over the top.

Just when I thought there really wasn't anything that I needed!!

There is now more pressure on Judges to submit comment cards.
While they are still voluntary I think more are being turned in.

You would have to speak to some cooks as to their value..
I think they are for the most part helpful to the cooks despite an occasional outlier

WB Jason :) Very nice lookin rig!

@rokin - Being competition newbies last year we very much appreciated any comments returned back to us.

You can always use that pizza oven for some hot 'n fast BBQ cooking :becky: - lot more of that around now. Other than that, blues hog and smokin' guns hot still do well.

Back