• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Contest Website

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any direction on where to go to build a website for our BBQ contest? I tried a DIY solution but ran into a ton of road blocks.

Find a sponsor that might be willing to cover the cost of a professionally developed site.

just make a facebook page and have downloadable links on it to your entry forms etc.

enasnidx, thought about doing that to cover that initial cost.

porking, so a dedicated page isn't a deal breaker for teams to show or not?

Eric, go daddy is what I had been using. There are probably tons of features I don't know about but it just seems limited for things like fillable forms, payments, maps, etc.

just make a facebook page and have downloadable links on it to your entry forms etc.

I would do this. Use Google's available tools (forms, docs, sheets, maps, etc.) with links on the facebook page.

I've made the suggestion to KCBS that, at a minimum, they require contests to submit an information page and an application page that would be hosted on the KCBS site with links from the event page, but nobody seems interested in doing it. It could be a simple pdf for each.

While it is great if a contest has a website and online signup, it is by no means a deal breaker if they don't. A facebook page with a downloadable entry form is perfectly fine. They only thing that gets to me is a contest with just an email that doesn't respond in a timely manner.

What roadblocks did you run into? Some of the DIY sites like WIX are pretty capable.

Something to consider is that there are people who do not Facebook.

I have personally not participated in two contests this year as the only way to get information and sign up was on Facebook. Sorry but I do not Facebook, and will not. I contacted both organizers asking to have links to the applications or to have them sent to me so I could register. One told me that they would email me the application link and never did. The other suggested that I "get with the times and join Facebook",,,I will never participate in any events of theirs.

I have assisted folks with their comp sites, happy to assist if needed. Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Here is a clean simple beta site I created: http://betabbq.blackmarketbbq.net/

Cost is minimal and you can use year to year to develop some search value over time.

Clone the site and drop in your content, I handle it all easy. Site build, hosting and updates if needed.

SS

I have a great web developer I am using in India. If you want information let me know.

As long as you have an email out there for people to contact you for information you should be good. I don't know that I've ever cooked in a contest with a dedicated page.... kcbs just has a link to the persons email and I always email them for an entry form...

All new to me!

I want to be competitive!i have never done this before! I'm all in or nothing!how do I post pics?

All new to me!

I want to be competitive!i have never done this before! I'm all in or nothing!how do I post pics?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 119
Back