• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flat question while in cook 5hrs in 185F? Help

No not really. That's why I got confused. And the guys where saying that doesn't happen to flats. The meat was so lean I couldn't even see and fat other than the cap.

No not really. That's why I got confused. And the guys where saying that doesn't happen to flats. The meat was so lean I couldn't even see and fat other than the cap.

The "womans breast" jiggle does not happen with flats (as I understand it)...yes the flat is very lean, it should still probe tender though to be fully cooked. Never cooked a flat myself yet.

Bill

I did inject it but only with a bit of beef broth. If you go back in the posts, I checked the temp on the grill after 5 hrs, it was 180F on my Thermoworx. I took it off and put it in the cooler and wrapped it. I checked the board again and after reading some more posts, I decided to keep the foil on but put it back on the grill. I left it there for another 2 hrs. It was only 160F. I then put it in the cooler for an hour thinking it will rise. stayed 160F. Unwrapped, and put back on cooker for 10min just to Bark it up a bit.

Something still out of whack there, that does not make sense. It should still probe tender even if its a flat especially after that much time it should have actually been way overcooked and fall apart barbacoa tender even dry as you stated. I cook whole packers (10-12lbs) at 275 300 in 5 to 6 hours. Cooked a flat last weekend just as an experiment it was done in 3 hours @ 300. Have you checked the temp guages or that thermo thing for accuracy?

I think the biggest thing that jumps of the screen at me is... make sure your temp gauges are accurate, then always cook a brisket until probe tender, I dont start checking mine for tenderness until about 195 IT. foiling at 165 is OK add a little broth to a flat because of the leanness of the cut, but back on until it gets probe tender, then put in cooler and let it rest. I can almost guarantee that it will be much more tender and juicy than what you think it will be. Also flat can be very finicky I prefer to cook packers that I trim up myself.. Smoke on Brother!!

Also if like many of us you DO pull one too early....you can put it in a roasting pan and cover that with foil (I put the rack in the roaster and sprinkled some maggi seasoning on top) then roast at 225 for an hour or so and it will salvage it so you can eat it :).

A few thoughts...

1. My kettle is 16 degrees hotter in the dome than at the grate. That means you were cooking around 235F, and I have seen as much as 25 degrees. You need to be certain of that variable.

2. You most definitely did not get that cooked enough. It is not done, I can tell by the texture where you cut it. Even a flat, cooked properly has a relaxed grain texture, it will pull apart as you slice it just a little, yours is still very tight, makes super clean slices, not quite there.

3. You monitored and put way too much emphasis on internal temperature, this is your second flaw in your cook (the first one is that you do not really know what your grate temperature was). The internal temperature on a flat is useless. Also, taking tips on how to cook a packer and then doing a flat will lead to problems.

4. Even a flat, cook hotter. Run your cooker at 275F grate temperature, it will be fine. Cook it until the color is a nice mahogany, probe it, most likely it will be hard. This is fine. Foil it, adding 1/4 cup of beef broth, and put it back onto the pit. Note, at this time, give the packet a squeeze, it will feel hard, remember this. After a couple of hours, stick it with your thermo, is it soft? hard? if you have a Thermapen, take a temperature. If it is not soft, note the temp. If it is 165F, you have at least another hour before checking, if it is 180F, then you should check in 30 minutes. If it is 195F, then check in 15 to 20 minutes. Also, squeeze the packet at this time, if it is soft, then you are close and should be checking every 20 minutes, if it is hard, regardless of IT, let it run for an hour. A flat that is done will have give, even under a couple of layers of foil or paper.

5. A flat will never jiggle.

Back