Bigmista Balcony Barrel Smoker II

I've got to change my handle on my lid too. It's a hollow metal one but it does get too hot. I'm thinking about building one with one of these stainless coil grips.

I also want to make a "L" clip that will fit on the same bolts as the handle, only on the inside to use for a lid holder. (to rest on the edge of the barrel) Right now I'm using a washer of sorts, it works just not a totally good fit.

38ca84b6.jpg

Lowes and Home Depot have Genie Universal garage door lift handles for a few bucks. I used them on my WSM center section. I put a gate handle on my flat lid and it was too hot to handle, so I had to put spacers on it-much better now.

100_1419-1.jpg

100_1386-2.jpg

Those you have pictured are the ones. Bend a piece of steel into a J shape and drill a hole into it and using one of the handle mount bolts secure it to the inside of the lid as a hanger, it works great
Hope it gives you an idea what I'm talking about!

Brian

Pipe fitting in the bottom, holes in the lid.

Since most of this day was in discussion of a handle for the sides and lid of your new smoker. What did the old one have?

Since most of this day was in discussion of a handle for the sides and lid of your new smoker. What did the old one have?

Couple of pieces of metal (i think it called rebar) welded on. Bolts thru a wooden dowel (I learned a new word!)

I finished burning the barrel tonight. Gonna paint it and put the handles on tomorrow.

Neil- Are you going to be using the Drum at the Autry?

Brian

whats wrong with just a plain old foil turkey roasting (oval) pan to catch the ashes till ya find or build one.

Neil- Are you going to be using the Drum at the Autry?

Brian

If I can get it finished in time. Hard to work on it and prep for the contest too.

whats wrong with just a plain old foil turkey roasting (oval) pan to catch the ashes till ya find or build one.

It wouldn't support the charcoal basket.

Um, how do you plan to fiting Ugly Drum I & Ugly Drum II in the back seat of the Dodge Stratis?
Does this mean the rest of the team rides to the Autry in the trunk?

Oh yeah, can I have that Mac n' Cheese recipie big man?

Um, how do you plan to fiting Ugly Drum I & Ugly Drum II in the back seat of the Dodge Stratis?
Does this mean the rest of the team rides to the Autry in the trunk?

Oh yeah, can I have that Mac n' Cheese recipie big man?

Only one will make the trip. If II is finishd and tested, it will make the trip other wise I will stick with old faithful I.

Lowes and Home Depot have Genie Universal garage door lift handles for a few bucks. I used them on my WSM center section. I put a gate handle on my flat lid and it was too hot to handle, so I had to put spacers on it-much better now.

100_1419-1.jpg

100_1386-2.jpg

Those you have pictured are the ones. Bend a piece of steel into a J shape and drill a hole into it and using one of the handle mount bolts secure it to the inside of the lid as a hanger, it works great
Hope it gives you an idea what I'm talking about!

Brian

Just out of curiosity, How much meat could you cook if you fired up all of your smokers at one time?

More than I can afford!

I can't make up my mind whether to bring the UDS or the WSM to the Paul Kirk cooking class this Sunday. What all are your team cooking on at the Autry besides the drum?

Brian

Everyone else has WSM's. I'm the only one with the drum.

I'm leaning heavily towards using the Drum at the class, but I need more experience with the WSM. Something keeps telling me to go with what I know!

Brian

Question Mista, How much did the finished product cost you out of pocket? Wondering If I used your barrel supplier and wanted to build my own using the same parts you used. how much would it cost?

Back