Anyone seen this? The Rancher’s Reserve® Beef Cup

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last year, at select events they did briskets.

This year, they're apparently doing top sirloin. The contest says " participating teams will be charged with preparing a top sirloin in a new and exciting way"

They don't say what way, so it leaves a lot to the imagination. Rules are at the KCBS website here http://kcbs.us/rancherspoints.php?id=3 Looks like 1 in CA and 1 in PA before here in IL, then 6 more.

You have to pre-reserve the order at the Safeway (parent) store nearest each event, and pick it up at the store, according to the organizer. But the link implies they'll have them at the event...dont know yet.

There is also no information on turn in times , presentation, etc. I've asked and haven't received it yet.

I have a Safeway-owned store a mile from my house but I have to drive 20 miles to get the meat?

I think its on Ogden pretty close to Ty Warner Ron, you could stop on the way. I signed up, but I'm feeling a bit hinky about it. The brisket we got last year was just select grade Excel packer. It a nice prize though, so threw our hat in

They had it at the Oregon State Fair in Salem last year. I didn't cook it so not sure when the turn is were.

I am signed up for this for Morgan Hill. I asked a bunch of questions and was told it is "TBD". But I placed my order for 2 and I guess I will be completely winging it as I have no idea what to do. :-/

From what I understand from Bill at Que and Cruz it's being left up to the organizers when the turn in will be. Nothing has been said vis a vie garnish or presentation, but we're speculating that it's going to be straight KCBS rules.

Yes must buy from local Dominicks... id buy early... it might be a home field advantage... ;) just sayin... must show receipt from local store at meat inspection...

It's a grilling meat. My recommendation was to not have a 2:00 pm turnin. Just because of logistics of trying to get grill ready et al.

I have other details from the BBQ Committee meeting, but not ready to release info.

Westmont is almost sold out at 60 teams though.

Yes must buy from local Dominicks... id buy early... it might be a home field advantage... ;) just sayin... must show receipt from local store at meat inspection...

It's a grilling meat. My recommendation was to not have a 2:00 pm turnin. Just because of logistics of trying to get grill ready et al.

I have other details from the BBQ Committee meeting, but not ready to release info.

Westmont is almost sold out at 60 teams though.

Yep, Jim was looking into it. I think this particular Dominicks is like 6 blocks west on Ogden, by the trader joes?

Rules say you have to order in advance (I ordered 3) and pick up the day of. Guess we'll wait to see.
Be fun to see how "participating teams will be charged with preparing a top sirloin in a new and exciting way" using only KCBS garnishes

Haven't seen Scotsmen or Joel on the list yet, but looks like the last time they updated was 4/9

I think they already have dessert set for 2 don't they?

It would be nice to have a few more details seeing as how our contest is a week and a half away.

We have one in two weeks as well, and would really appreciate any help on details.

I like how the grocery store for Green Lane is 1/2 an hour away. Not sure I'm going to bother.

Wow, the store providing the meat for the Green Lane contest is 16 miles from the contest. I wonder if it could be any more of a pain in the arse to enter this ancillary category. There is also nothing on the website or the application if there is an additional entry fee to enter like there is with the dessert and chef's choice categories.

Wow, the store providing the meat for the Green Lane contest is 16 miles from the contest. I wonder if it could be any more of a pain in the arse to enter this ancillary category. There is also nothing on the website or the application if there is an additional entry fee to enter like there is with the dessert and chef's choice categories.

You're driving all the way from Oil City and you're worried about 16 extra miles? :)

Just kidding -- I'm with you. In Montgomery County 16 miles can seem like 100 the way traffic gets sometimes.

I would like to see more info on the category. What is garnish? What is permitted besides the meat?

I was looking to do this in Westmont, when I contacted the Dominics listed on the KCBS, they were not aware of this and when I asked about reserving a few he wanted to know if I wanted 3 pallets. any help would be greatly appriciated.

They have not been in contact with the meat manager at the Downers Grove Dominicks. They will though. I would biy early. Never know when a local team might go in and buy all the steaks!!!! ;) Dann, no schedule turnin times have been set on the side categories. That will be finalized at the next meeting on May 9th. They are leaning certain ways. I made sure that the cooks voice at the meeting was heard.

A few teams are 'reserving' a spot. Saying they are coming. Not sure if I should reveal who that is?

I sent a PM Joe, but go to this link http://kcbs.us/rancherspoints.php. Go to the box labled Navigation at the upper left, and click rules. There is a link there where you can register, and say how many you want. Doesn't go by pounds apparently, but by steaks..

I didn't call the store yet either. The Westmont organizer said you go to the store the day of, the link description makes it sound like they bring them to the event. Hopefully, we'll see how it goes for the first two of these in time to get it figured out. If it proves to be too much hassle I'll just blow it off.

Thanks found the link, I think I have 3 reserved, Jim also Emailed and said they were waiting on Ranchers to figure it out.

Oh well good reason to throw a couple top sirloins on the barbie this weekend

For those of you who have already cooked one of these, what happened? What were the rules, etc.? We're three days away and haven't heard a thing. I may just skip it.

We participated in the Morgan Hill event. At this one, the organizer allowed the steaks to be presented as "anything but". The usual limits on the size of platters, etc. were being enforced. The instructions to the judges were to judge for overall presentation but to focus on the meat for taste and tenderness. If there were sides such as potatoes or veggies, the judges were asked to eat them after scoring the meat. This was done on behalf of Rancher's so the focus would be on the meat.
However, the organizer of the next contest in OC has told the teams to be as creative as possible but everything must fit in the standard styrofoam box. There was some indication, Rancher's wants it that way.
So, I'd ask your organizer.

Benny

For those of you who have already cooked one of these, what happened? What were the rules, etc.? We're three days away and haven't heard a thing. I may just skip it.

There arent anymore steaks left anyway....:becky:

Back