UDS Temp. problems....

R

REZVORDWG

Last weekend, 4th of July, I smoked a pork butt, pan of baked beans, and a fatty. It was the first time I really loaded up the UDS. I used 10 lb. bag of lump charcole, hickory lumps, and a cuople peices of apple wood. After a few hours I noticed that the UDS was running a little hot. The temp. gauge said 225 f., I checked the temp. at the exhaust vent with my didgital meat thermomitor and had a temp. of 270 F.. Panic set in, I could no longer hear the blues music, I could no longer taste the beer, I no longer had the vision of juicy pork and mopping sause running down my chin, I was a broken man.... So I pulled the gauge and put in one of those Industrial SS. Centigrate gauges that has the 6" probe. Readjusted air flow and things went well for an hour, then it happend agian. This time I was running cold, panic agian. I could not get the gauge temp. to increase. I decided to use my didgital meat thermomitor to monitor the temp at the exhaust vent. Had no more problems. However my pork-butt bone did'nt just pull out, was'nt very juisy as I pulled it. The taste was awesome! Im guessing now that I have or had a cold spot? Not sure, has anyone had this problem? I have a video of it on you-tube, Im not sure if your allowed to link here for sure, so I'll do it anyway. http://www.youtube.com/user/rezvordwg Thanks.:cool: Rez

I really think trying to maintain 225 in a drum may be a lot to ask of the drum. Different builds come with different " sweet spots". Mine likes to run around 260 so I have adjustsed to it.

How big was your pan of beans ? Was it on for the whole time ? Could it have blocked the smokes view to your Q ?

I always have to shake the ash down after 8 hours or so because the temps starts to drop.

If you use lump charcoal and don't pack it down real good then you will have temp spikes also.

Cliff thanks

Did'nt know that I should pack down the lump. I'll try that next time. I thought that on a UDS I should be trying to maintian a Temp of 225 F. Is trying to keep the Temp low like that ok? Or should I be running at a higher temp, this is the first time I had a problem. I normaly smoke 2 shoulders at a time by themselves. This time1 butt, however I added the beans in a 13" X 9" pan for a couple of hours as well with the fatty that broke and put in a bread pan. If you were to look at the link to the video you can see the set up I had going on. I am new to this and have alot to learn, but really appreciate the help Cliff..... Thanks Rez.... Won't be smokin today rain ,thunder and lightning right now....

With what you were cooking, there's no real difference in 225* vs 275*vs 300* other than the time it will take you to cook it.

Oddly enough, i started my UDS this morning at 915 with about 12 coals in a chimney and a loaded charcoal basket and i've had fluctuating temps all day. Swings were +/- 10 degrees from 250 so I finally said forget it and while it was still cooking, moved it back into my garage and it locked back in on 250 and has been holding ever since. Just needs a swift kick about once an hour to knock the coals clean and keep them burning. Also found that a metal hanger through one open intake hooked to the charcoal basket works nicely too as a jiggler. I figured my problem was wind because it was pretty windy today when I started everything. That would be something I would look at as well, as I remember reading somewhere that wind can have an adverse affect even on the UDS cookers. Hope this helps.

**EDIT** I feel like an idiot now. Just went out and foiled the ribs that have been on since 1230, checked the charcoal load, almost out and now I remember why! Earlier in the week in an effort to build the second of the twins, I took the charcoal basket since it sat at a nice 12-13 inches tall, and cut it in half thereby cutting my overall basket load in half, as well as my cooking time. Damn i'm a moron!

Last edited by a moderator:
**EDIT** I feel like an idiot now. Just went out and foiled the ribs that have been on since 1230, checked the charcoal load, almost out and now I remember why! Earlier in the week in an effort to build the second of the twins, I took the charcoal basket since it sat at a nice 12-13 inches tall, and cut it in half thereby cutting my overall basket load in half, as well as my cooking time. Damn i'm a moron!
Chit happens! Last week at the end of a cook I took the lid off to check meat temps and some how got distracted....20 min later I come out to find three meteor's had crashed on the top of my UDS, one looked some what like chicken the other two resembled fatties, flames shooting up 2-3 ft above drum. Talk about feeling like a moron :icon_blush:.

Thanks guys,I'll pack the coal more, video less keeping the lid on, and try to find a sweet spot for my temp.. Rez.....

Back